Sunday, November 27, 2011

Splat!!!

I had a great Sunday morning until...

I've said this before and I'll say it again, my worst fear as I age is falling. So, what did I do today...

We had great meetings today at Church followed by a good choir practice.

With choir practice over, I was walking around the front of the stand and did not notice the little step for kids to stand on when they speak. It is covered in carpet just like the carpet on the floor of the stand. I wanted to practice the organ for the bi-stake choir practice tonight. I was looking up and not down.

I stumbled and began to fall and could tell there was no way to stop it. I stretched out my left arm it hit the floor first. I heard a little pop sound. Then I realized I was stretched out across the stand in front of the chairs where the bishop and his counselor would sit during meetings. Geez!!!

Fortunately I wore a long skirt today and I was still covered.

Unfortunately I immediately felt nauseous. The last thing I wanted was to be stretched out there and hurl in front of everyone.

Immediately there were many people there to help me. I assured them I was most concerned about my left arm and just felt like I was probably in a bit of shock.

Someone took the books of music I was carrying. Then I slowly tried to stand. I tried putting pressure on my left arm and realized that was not a good idea.

Standing brought the men around. There were several offers for a priesthood blessing. That was so very sweet. I declined until I could tell if I was really hurt.

I went to the organ and tried to take off my shoes so I could play the pedals. Hmmm...that hurt. I also realized I couldn't lift my left arm to the swell keyboard. Well, I could but it was extremely painful.

Kathy Alexander came over and asked me a few questions. She is a nurse by profession. I had pretty good range of motion so we thought I may have just pulled something.

I practiced the organ using the great keyboard for my left hand so I didn't have to raise it. I also eliminated playing the pedal. That was just too much to watch out for as I tried to practice.

I finally said 'uncle' and headed toward my car.

Putting on my coat was not easy. I put my left arm in first and that helped. I carried my purse and my bag with my stuff to teach with my right arm. Out into the rain I went.

Driving was okay if I remembered to use the right arm for just about everything.

I visited Mimi and then headed to Papa's. We picked out songs for Wednesday. I headed home feeling queasy and sore.

My evening plans have changed from driving to Lexington for the choir practice to staying home and not moving my left arm any more than I have to.  A triple X sweatshirt was easier to pull on. I'm just staying tucked in my home until tomorrow when I may call the doctor.

To type this I have pulled the laptop close in front of me so my left are is bent but not raised.

Well, that is why this Blog entry is titled 'Splat'. That is what I did. I did it gracefully though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment