Wednesday, November 23, 2011

If The Shoe Fits...

Monday started early, very early, for Claude and me, 5am.  Claude was flying to Utah to spend Thanksgiving with his mom and family. He drove to the airport in a driving rain. Forturnately my return trip only had rain until I reached where I-71 leaves I-75 and heads to Louisville. It was good to get back home and be able to stay inside while the rain poured in Sadieville.

My day was spent completely two Christmas projects, getting all my mailing caught up, and sorting through some things in my home. It was a good productive day and I left home in the afternoon with a good to do list for the rest of the week and things in pretty good order.

My first stop was in Frankfort, Kentucky to visit my dear friend, Laura Carter, her daughter and her mom. I truly appreciate the wonder that is friendship. It fills me and uplifts me and I am grateful for good people in my life.

My destination Monday evening was the Marx home. Miss Bailey was to have her Thanksgiving Program at St. John's Preschool Tuesday morning. I was going to LaGrange the night before so I didn't have another very early morning to get there in time for this big event in our little one's life.

The Marx family had an evening at Gatti-Town. I arrived at their home before they returned from their outing. This gave me time to unpack my car and settle in. Even got a little crocheting done.

Those Mini's were very happy to see me. It was great to read them stories before bed and have a bit of snuggle time.

Tuesday morning I awoke with a gentle tapping on the other side of the wall in the guest bedroom. That is Hayden's signal letting me know it is time to wake up. There is nothing quite like Hayden first thing in the morning. He awakes with a plethora of things to tell you and lots of hugs.

Not too much later Miss Bailey gave a little tap on Hayden's bedroom door. She was all grins as she entered her big brother's bedroom. She climbed into his bed on the side opposite me and gave him a huge hug. He hugged her right back. My heart was full.

Michael headed to work and Hayden to school. Now it was time for Andie, Bailey and me to get ready for Bailey's program.

When it was time, we got in the car and headed to Hayden's school to take him out to see the Thanksgiving Program. Yeah us!!! We were 2 minutes ahead of Andie's plan leave time. As we pull out the drive Andie comments on this and wonders what will happen.

As we pull up to the school, Andie turns around to Bailey who is strapped in her car seat. It was then Andie learned why she would need those extra two minutes. Miss Bailey was dressed and coiffed perfectly. However...she had no shoes on those little feet.

Andie got Hayden and headed back to her home to get Bailey's shoes. Then we quickly drove to St. John's Preschool. The rain was pouring. The kids donned their raincoats, umbrellas were opened and puddles were splashed in as we hurried to the door.

We dropped Bailey off at her classroom first. She washed her hands.
Then Bailey's teacher put her pilgrim hat on her and we were off to find seats in the sanctuary.
Hayden was looking for teachers he knew. He found Ms. Joy, his first preschool teacher.
Michael was in the sanctuary waiting for us. Andie brought Hayden binoculars to use for the program. Great choice!
Soon the classes were beginning to file into their assigned pews. Andie headed back to get pictures of Bailey.
Bailey age group moved to the stand. Andie and Michael joined the other parents in the aisles and along the front to take pictures.
Bailey's group sang "Thankful", recited their turkey poem, and ended with singing "Our God is a Great Big God".  Bailey enthusiastically performed. She grinned and did all the hand motions. One of my favorite moments was when she yawned.
Know what a little girl wants most when she finishes her performance. A big hug from her daddy assuring her she was the 'best one on her row'. Absolutely priceless.
The remainder of the age groups performed. Then Pastor Dan gave the benediction.
The Marx family gathered after the Thanksgiving Program for a quick family picture before Michael headed back to work.
Hayden is sporting his first brush burn. He and Bailey were playing and he rounded a corner and through a doorway. when he fell he got this lovely brush burn on the side of his face. I have a stack of get well notes his class wrote to him that I'm going to scan for Andie.

Lunch was provided in the gym. Hayden took Bailey by the hand and led her to the gym.
Andie's contribution to the dessert portion of the meal was these adorable pilgrim hat cookies.
The cute thing about lunch was Hayden finding Claire. His teacher his final year of preschool had her baby the day of his graduation from preschool. Hayden took my hand and walked me over to meet baby Claire. He could only grin from ear to ear as he looked at this little tike.

We took Hayden back to school. Andie left Bailey and me at the house and she went to run errands for the afternoon. Bailey and I found lots to play and enjoy.

One of my fun experiences with Bailey that afternoon was playing hide-and-seek. Bailey hid first while I counted.

Then she informed me I was to find a really good hiding place. She headed to the living room to count to ten. I looked around, opened the door to the basement, stood on the top step, and closed the door till it was almost completely closed. Bailey finished her counting and came looking. She kept calling 'Ma, Ma'.  I remained quiet on that top step peeking out the crack of the door. Bailey went upstairs and looked and finally came back downstairs. She went back through the family room calling for me. Then she looked that the door to the basement. She tiptoed over and peeked in the crack. Then we both laughed and I came out for a big hug. Who would have thought at age 61 hide-and-seek could be so much fun?

The other fun experience has to do with make-up. Bailey loves to put on make-up. Lots and lots and lots of makeup. I had permission from Andie for her to play. We headed up to the kid's bathroom and Bailey brought my ditty bag. She pulled over the step stool while I took out my eye shadows. Bailey then went to town coloring her eyes. I asked her if she wanted some lipstick. Of course she wanted lipstick. That was in my purse so I went to get it. When I came back this is what I found...
I assured Miss Bailey she was doing a magnificent job of putting on her makeup. She looked at me and in a self-assured voice told me it was her beak. I asked if she was a bird. Yep, that is exactly what she was creating. I asked what kind and she told me she was a Blue Macaw!! I have a cute video of this but it is too long for posting.

Soon it was time to retrieve Hayden from the bus stop. He was so happy to have us meet him. We came back to the house and the kids finished watching Toy Story 3.

I received a phone call from Katelyn. She is in the middle of some project at school and needs two costumes. I sent her pattern links and she was responding to the links. Pencil and paper in hand I wrote down the pattern she chose. She sent me a picture of Claude in a blue shirt that was the color she wanted her dress to be made.

As I took pictures off my camera and put them on Andie's computer, I noticed Bo in protest mode about their upcoming trip.
Andie returned and I quickly loaded my car and headed to Frankfort to the fabric store. As I'm cruising down the highway I got a call on my cell phone. It was Andie. It seems Hayden walked to the breakfast table and said, "Aren't these Ma's shoes?" Hmmm... Andie called and sure enough they were mine and I left them at their home. Andie said it was a theme for the day -- No Shoes!!

I hurried to Frankfort, found pattern, fabric and notions, made my purchase and hurried out the door. I was in Frankfort and my Spanish class was to start in 10 minutes in Georgetown. No way was I going to be on time. I would just have to be there as quick as I could drive safely.

I ended the day with my Spanish class, dinner at Fazoli's and a quick stop at Walmart. Home by 10pm.

It was a fun trip.

Today I prepared a Jell-o salad for Thanksgiving dinner, cleaned my home, and sang at the nursing home with Papa. It's nearing bedtime. I'm ready as I can be for a nice Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow with Papa, the missionaries and a new convert, Charlene Stamper. Should be a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment