Wednesday, January 23, 2013

eMail Fun...

For Hayden's 8th birthday his parents started an eMail account for him. I try to send him something so he has a little note whenever he pauses to check his eMail. He is a busy guy and, fortunately, sitting at the computer is not a high priority.

I have been going through my computer files and clearing out a LOT of useless files, reorganizing some of my folders, etc. While doing this vital work, I came across the first eMail Katelyn sent me. She, too, was about 8 years old at the time. As I read through it I felt strongly I should send it to her for her personal history and also send it to Hayden to enjoy this right of passage.

On January 9th I quickly sent the file as an attachment to this eMail:

Hi Katelyn & Hayden,

I'm cleaning out some old files on my computer. I came across this first
eMail from Katelyn. I thought Katelyn might like a copy for her own personal
history. Then I thought Hayden might enjoy seeing it since he now has his
first eMail.

Love Ya Both Bunches,
Ma

On January 20th (see, I told you he didn't check eMail's often) Hayden caught up on his digital correspondence. I received this eMail from him. We have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia. The Silver Chair is the next to last book in that series.

Ma, we finisht the Silver chair
Katelyn's eMail was very anchint
P,S.I have'not got EPIC MICKEY 2 THE POWER OF TWO

Okay, as a Gramma, I shall cherish forever this process of learning to spell. There are three spellings in this that just give my old heart a giggle.

Being very amused by Hayden, age 8, calling Katelyn, now age 20, 'anchint', I did the only thing I could do. I eMailed Katelyn his response. This is what I heard back from Katelyn.

This is the second time he called me ancient l. :) I feel so old.

Note the advanced use of emoticons in her eMailing. When I was her age and there were no computers (we did have electric typewriters) the best we could do was dot our 'I's' with hearts. Go figure.

I responded to Miss Katelyn in the only way I could.
 
Alas...I find you so young. Perspective my dear, perspective!!
What a delightful exchange with my grandmonsters. What a cherished memory I now have. Love being a Gramma.

No comments:

Post a Comment