Saturday, January 5, 2013

Out With The Old, In With The New...

The end of 2012...

Look at this picture and see what you notice.
Miss Bailey learned last year that the nice nativity was not a toy for her. I have lots of nativities around our home at Christmas. But she seems drawn to this one. In case you didn't notice, that is Bailey on the right and she has placed a paper cup under the donkey's nose for it to have something to drink. All imaginary but lovely caring nonetheless.

Later one day Bailey was playing with the nativity magnet set I have on the refrigerator while I was working in the kitchen. She moved the pieces around until they were just right according to her sense of perspective. Then the light bulb went off in that little brain of hers and she began moving the pieces in another direction. There are about 20 pieces in this nativity so she had to work to get them just like she wanted. When she finished she said, "Look Ma, I made a Christmas tree!" Lo and behold, there all the pieces were stuck to the fridge in an order that formed a perfect Christmas tree.   

This year I purchased a Russian matryoshka doll nativity just so Bailey could enjoy it. She loves playing with the big set Andie brought back from Russia so it seemed logical she would enjoy one that was a nativity. She did. In fact, as I was putting Christmas things away, this is what I found.
Every little matryoshka figure is matched perfectly with the ceramic figure. Please note that Baby Jesus is holding his counter-part Baby Jesus. This gave me an added grin for this Christmas season.

By Saturday the last of the Christmas stuff was downstairs stored away for next year. Well, almost everything. I always manage to leave one thing behind. No matter how well ordered I think I'm being in my storing process, I always manage to miss one item. This year it was the cow ornament that hangs from the door knob to our deck. I even remember seeing it there and saying in my head, "You should put that on the dining room table with the other items to be packed up." But I didn't get that done right then and it still hangs on the doorknob to the deck. Silly Moi!!

So the old of 2012 is all packed away and was very much enjoyed.

Now...on to the new of 2013...

We have managed to get to two movies over the last two weeks. Since we don't frequent the movie theater a lot, this could be considered a minor miracle.

However, this year The Hobbit came out. I love J.R.R. Tolkien's books. I first read The Hobbit many years ago in paperback form. Then I read the three Lord of the Rings books. My enjoyment of these books led me to purchase the hardbound books for my personal library. Claude and I have a New Year's Eve tradition of watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That is nine hours of movies. I usually have a crocheting project underway and get lots of crocheting done during this moviefest time. The end of this last year, in preparation for the movie, I re-read The Hobbit and totally enjoyed it again. Seeing the movie was a must on my to-do list. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why they have to make three movies out of that one book. The novel is no longer than any of the three Lord of the Rings books and each of those books was only made into one movie. Claude assures me it is a market ploy. But we enjoyed this movie date.

The other movie we saw last night. It was Les Miserable. This is my all time favorite play, ever.  We saw it everytime it came to the National Theater in Washington, DC. Can't even guess how many times that was in our 20 years of living in Maryland. I loved it every time. My kids sang and played the music around the piano. We were both very happy with the movie. The voices were not as strong as my favorites over the years. My favorite vocalist for Jean Valjean has always been Gary Morris. My favorite vocalist for Javert is Norm Lewis. The thing I really enjoyed about the movie was the added emotion you could feel with added sets and movement of the actors. It was a great movie evening and I could highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyes Les Miserable.

The biggest 'new' for Claude and me so far in 2013 is the purchase of new cell phones. We agreed that would be our Christmas present to each other. We waited until after Christmas and got them New Year's Eve. This meant, instead of crocheting like a fiend while watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was feverishly learning my new phone while Claude was doing the same. While it is frustrating to get contacts in and correct (even if you copy them from one medium to another there is always a lot of clean-up to do) the fun part is sharing with each other the things we learn how to do. I now have all my contacts in and my calendar is all up-to-date. This took hours to accomplish but it was good I had a few days to do that in. Now we are just trying to learn how to use them most efficiently. I'm not happy with their ring tones and want Hayden singing 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' on this phone. I've got it copied but can't find the way to make it the ring tone. I'll get there. In fact, I'm now creating a list to take back to the store to get their help with getting my questions answered about how to make some things work. This phone is much larger than my Blackberry was. At first I felt like I was holding a brick up to my head. It is not that thick or heavy but the surface area is so much larger that is what it felt like. Claude and I both agree we have fallen behind in that fast moving digital race. I'm sure we'll keep these phones long enough we will be further behind in a few years. Not even going to try and compete in that race.

So we are on to make our mark in and on 2013. Let the journey continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment