Tuesday, June 4, 2019

A Little Time For Papa...

Rain is in the forecast for the rest of the next week. Today was a perfectly beautiful day. What do we do between rainstorms? We take Papa for a drive. Where to go? Where to go? In my head I had us driving around Cave Run Lake. Then I had a little revelation. Yep, that's what is was an inspired revelation!

I sent Andie a text asking if she and/or the Mini's were home today. She replied 'ish'. Oh My! I called and explained that I was going to take Papa out for a drive. I was wondering if the Mini's and/or she would like to go to Dairy Queen and get ice cream. She was actually grateful I called. School let out for all of them Friday for the summer. Andie teaches first grade and needed to finish cleaning out her room. However, she was procrastinating. My call was her inspiration to get things done. She would take the Mini's to her school and they could help with some things. Then they would all go to get ice cream with Papa and I. Then I could take the Mini's home and she could finish cleaning out her room. It was a plan.

I drove Papa over Hwy 460 from Georgetown to Frankfort. There we drove 60 to Shelbyville and then 53 to LaGrange. I called Andie and they came out of the school. Andie felt she needed to stay and finish. I assured her I would get the Mini's home after we had a quick ice cream stop.

The kids had eaten lunch so they only needed ice cream. They helped me walk Papa into Dairy Queen without his walker, me on one side and one of the kids on the other side with the other child opening doors for us. We got Papa seated and we placed our order. 

The kids talked with Papa as best they could with his deafness and poor memory. He was happy with the attention. Before we left Dairy Queen, we got this great picture of the kids with Papa. I just love their expressions. 
We dropped the kids off at their home and then I had to hurry back to Georgetown. Didn't get Papa back until 4:30pm. He was so thankful for this fun outing. It is easy to feel like one carries the burden of Papa alone. I love times like this when I feel the support of my family with his care. This was a good outing for him and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment