Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Bonnie Turns 90...

Friday, May 31st, Claude and I flew to Utah. Bonnie, Claude's mother would turn 90 years old on June 5th. The family was having a lunch on Saturday, June 1st, followed by an open house for friends and acquaintances from 3-5pm. I spent Friday morning with my father. Then hurried home to toss luggage in the car and head for the Cincinnati Airport. 

We planned to arrive early so that we might have our meal-of-the-day at Max and Erma's inside Concourse B of the airport. Most of the Max and Erma's have closed and we really love their tortilla soup. This would afford us another opportunity to enjoy that. So a dinner of soup and salads it was for us. Then we were truly ready to fly away. 

We had a rental car. When we were at the counter the 'very nice' man at the counter asked me if I was going to drive the rental. I assured him Claude would do the driving. He then asked me if I was over 18. I simply pointed to my very gray hair and assured him I was but thanked him for being so very gracious and asking that question. Then I also told him most people would then ask if we wanted the senior discount!! We all got a chuckle and he did not give us a senior discount.

After Claude familiarized himself with the car, we were off to Thatcher. The Wasatch Mountains display a huge fault line running through them. The picture below shows that fault line very clearly. There was plenty of snow pack in the high mountains which is good for the valleys. They depend on that melting snow for water through the summer months. 
We arrived at Bonnie's around 9pm and were able to visit for a bit before going to bed. There is a 2 hour time difference between Kentucky and Utah. So 9pm there was really 11pm to our Kentucky bodies. 

Saturday we were able to sleep in a bit. Then time to get ready for our day of celebration. This was the invitation to Bonnie's celebration.  Claude wrote an announcement to go into the Leader (local Tremonton paper). Tami made sure we all got a copy. However, Claude has it in our suitcase in Utah. I will scan it and add it to this Blog post after he gets home on Friday.
We arrived at the bowery by the Church in Thatcher. The bowery would be the location of all the doings that day. This picture is from the bowery looking at Little Mountain.  
Soon it was all hands on deck as we decorated that bowery. Tami had all the decorations and we followed her lead in setting up the bowery. It took Cordell, Claude and Bill all working together to get the curtain on the backdrop. Such guys. 
Rick and Lynette made a slideshow of pictures touching on all of Bonnie's life. Rick set up the television to run the slideshow.  
After set up, we all enjoyed a catered meal from Maddox of turkey breast, baked potatoes, salad, and rolls. 
Bonnie heard a song she wanted sung at her festivities. Eric learned it and sang it to the family before any guests arrived. The words say, "I'm not afraid of getting older, I'm one less day from dying young. I see the light go past my shoulder, I'm one less day from dying young!" Bonnie chuckled all the way through the song. Clearly sshe loves it catchy words and she was very grateful to this grandson-in-law for doing this for her.
We determined well before the party that a family picture should be taken of Bonnie with all six of her kids. Here they are left to right: Joann (the oldest), Lynette (next to youngest), Claude (2nd born), Bonnie, Cordell (4th born), Tami (3rd born) and Kayla (the youngest). All six of her kids with her on her special day of celebration. That is so very cool. I am sure Evan was looking down with a smile at this group of people.
The we got a picture with all the spouses. Left to right: John and Joann, Rick and Lynette, Sandi and Claude, Bonnie, Cordell and Julie, Bill and Tami, Kayla and Chris. A lot of years for all of us.  
Just before 3pm guests started to arrive. Bonnie was in her element. She loved seeing friends, neighbors, family, people she works with at the hospital and the list goes on. In this picture she is talking with Mrs. Okata who gave her a home quilted lap quilt. Such a treasure.
I put this picture in the Blog because along the picnic table in the back are all of us looking across as the people arrive and trying to put names to faces. Really, Claude and I live far away and only see some of the people every few years, if that. Even cousins we had to put names on. It was quite comical. As they identified us and we identified them, then lots of conversations and catching up happened. The funny thing is lots of them follow Claude on Facebook. They know my posts and where I tag him and have kept up with our shenanigans a bit.  
Of course, there was the usual cell phone addiction happening. This is CJ and Thomas. 
After most of the guests left, the first cousins on Bonnie's side of the family all posed for a picture.  
The weather was perfect. Being outside was perfect. A good time was had by all but especially by Bonnie.

The line for the weekend came from CJ. Mothers were talking about food likes and dislikes with their children and all agreed it was a Christensen gene that caused them to eat only certain things. CJ piped up and said, "Not me! I'm adopted!" We all burst out laughing. It was a line used through a lot of the weekend after that.

Sunday morning Bonnie and Claude prepared a nice lunch for family that could come. We had a good lunch and then Claude and I loaded me and my back pack in the rental car and he took me back to the Salt Lake Airport. I would fly home so I could visit Papa each day. He would stay through till Friday to visit with his Mom. He will take her to lunch tomorrow for her real birthday.

As I got on the plane, I took my cell phone out and put it in the pocket in front of me. Then I turned to the man sitting on my left. I asked him if he would kindly help me remember when we landed in Cincinnati to put my phone back in my purse. He grinned and said he would be happy to do that. I explained that it is now a running joke with my hubby and me since I left my phone on the plane in Iceland. When we were taxiing to the gate in Cincinnati, I sent Claude a text assuring him I had my cell phone. He was very pleased. 

It was a good trip. Grateful we are in a position so I can make that quick trip to be there for the important part. Someday my life will be a bit different and I can stay the entire time when we need to travel. But for now, I am grateful we can at least do things this way. I enjoyed seeing all of Claude's siblings and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment