Saturday, June 15, 2019

Such is Sadieville...

Wednesday, June 5th, the wind was blowing strongly. The sky was blackening rapidly. My phone was buzzing with weather alerts and warning about severe weather and lightening with a few miles from our home. In short, it was growing nasty outside and you were to take cover and listen for updates. I heard something outside and peeked out from the breakfast room window to see this. I grabbed my cell phone and popped out on the upper deck to take this very quick picture as the drops started to fall. Our neighbor was digging trenches again on his property amidst all that chaos of elements. I could not believe it. 
When we moved into our home, I came across two clay pots that were painted white on the outside. They captured my interest and I pondered over what in the world I could do with the clay pots. Then the idea came into this brain of mine, plaster of paris and silk flowers. Then I could always have a splash of color by the front door. I started finding flowers for each season and making two pots of these to go inside my two white clay pots. Well, we have lived here for almost 15 years. The sun and wind have taken a toll on my silk flowers. Time to replace some of them. I did the spring flower mix. Now it was time for Memorial Day and the patriotic colors to come out to play. I made these new bouquets in red, white and blue for anytime I use patriotic decorations. I really like them.
Weeded two times this past week. Wednesday morning, June 12th, I pulled back the weeds and grass and found these lovelies. I thought they were wild strawberries. A friend tells me they might be snake berries. I never heard of snakeberries. I inquired of my friend the difference between a wild strawberry and a snakeberry. She educated me that one of the differences is the location of the seeds. The wild strawberry has the seeds in the dimples. The snakeberry's seeds protrude out. Snakeberries are rough, dry and bitter to the taste. You may eat them but it is not recommended as some people have an allergic reaction. I did not eat these. Thought they were better left to the critters that roam our hill. 
Claude came out after the dew dried a bit on the grass. We have had so much rain and the soil is wet even when the grass on top is dry. Also there is a lot of clay in our soil so it just gets really, really slippery. This is not a good thing on the tractor given the steep incline on our hill. Once he felt it was safe, he ventured out on his tractor to mow. Mind you, we had rain the week we left for Utah and he was not able to mow. We have had rain the entire time since he got back so that made two weeks with no mowing. The grass really needed to be mowed. More rain was forecast for the evening so he was out and about on the tractor. He caught me trying to get a picture of him from my weeding location. He waved and I got that picture. What I missed was him waving with both hands as the tractor came rolling on down the hill. Wacky, wacky fellow.
Claude has diligently worked this week on stripping the stain off the lower deck. That is finished now and we have to wait for two dry days in a row before he can apply the new stain. The forecast is for showers off and on all week long. Ugh!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment