Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Last Thoughts for This Blogging Session...

This about catches me up on the Blogging. With company coming this weekend, I anticipate getting behind again. Here are a few things I want to remember.

Little Emelia is getting bigger and needed a new plaything. This was mentioned in front of a very generous Grampa Claude who assured Katelyn, if she would pick out what she wanted, he would purchase it for Emelia. Katelyn and Andie talked about the pros and cons of the different version of this wonderful play thing. Katelyn found one to order or buy and then came across this one for sale. When she and Drew got home she got it for Miss Emelia. And there you have our little Emelia in her new toy. She loves it. This should increase her growth and ability to do things very quickly.
Aubrey posted these pictures of Nelson bowling. There were two great video clips. I did not know they even made these contraptions. Nelson would put the bowling ball on the top (with a little help) and the ball rolls down the thing and then straight down the lane. He was very much enjoying this game. Nelson will be two this month. How fun is that?! 
Yesterday Emelia had surgery. Her voice box had to have some adjustment made to it. Katelyn stayed over night with her in the hospital. This is Emelia after the surgery. She did very well. The doctors were pleased. Now the Ropers are all home and together as a family. This is a good thing. Prayers for Emelia to heal quickly and well and for these good young parents to be able to endure well the task that is set before them.
Now I want to rant about one thing. My poor father just gets restless in the nursing home room. I try to find ways to get him about for a bit as often as I can. I took him Monday to the park by the creek. The temperature was in the mid-70's and it was a gorgeous day to be outside. We found a spot in the shade and I pulled the car forward so Papa could watch the geese that were playing in the creek. There were Canadian geese and big white geese. They were splashing in the water and preening their feathers. When they finished they came on shore and walked right up on Papa's side of the car. I had all the windows down and Papa was totally enjoying watching them preen their feathers and make goose noises. He counted 15 of these creatures. He was mesmerized. My plan was to leave the park at 3pm to get back home. He was so happy that I decided when 3pm came I would stay longer. Right as I determined to stay, a lady drove up in her big SUV and pulled in right next to Papa's door. He couldn't have gotten out of his door if he had needed to because she was so close. I almost got out and asked her to please move her car. She slid out of her driver's seat and her hubby got out of the passenger seat. As she slid out of her car she said, "I was trying not to hit the geese." I said, "My father was watching those geese." She didn't pick up on the sarcastic voice at all. Now, there are a lot of parking spaces that face the creek in this particular park. At this point there was only Papa and me in my car and one other car at the far end. There were numerous parking places one could pull in between us and the other car or from my car back to the entrance. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out why she had to park right there and block Papa's view of the geese. It was like someone invaded my personal space that I didn't know and was uncomfortable with them being there. I didn't get nasty. Wanted to but I didn't. I guess I am like a mother with my 91 year old child and someone wrecked their good time. The thing I learned from this experience was to watch what is going on and try to see what someone else is doing and why so that I am considerate of them. If there are lots of parking spaces, leave room for the people who are already there. Goodness. Rant over...for now. 

Today I took Papa on back roads to the cemetery. I bought him a chocolate shake and me a mango-pineapple smoothie along the way. We sat under the big tree whose branches spread over the grave site and enjoyed our Dairy Queen treats. Then we played his game on the old Kindle. He was happy to be out and about. I hope it was not irreverent of us to do this. But we had a good outing and for some reason, I just wanted to be by my mother today. It felt good to be where my mother's body rests with my father in a happy place beside me. It felt like she knew I was trying to take care of Papa and all was okay for today. That is a good feeling for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment