Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cha, Cha, Cha, Chia...

My hubby spent yesterday morning in a dentist chair. He had a root canal done in May and it healed sufficiently to put the temporary crown on. He came home and got a Mayoral call just as he laid down to rest. He did rest a bit after the phone call and then he was up and cutting the neighbors grass and our hill under the trees.
Claude has also wanted to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. We hoped to go while Katelyn was here when it first came out but that did not work out.

Yesterday, after Claude got in from his mowing chores, I called the Georgetown Theater and found the times. Then I marched myself right into Claude's office and said, "I have a plan!" I presented said plan. I would go in and sing at the nursing home then Claude would come into Georgetown and take me to dinner and then to the movie. He was game for that plan. (He could have been gamey from cutting grass but I truly believe he was just game for 'the plan'.)

It was just a very pleasant evening beginning with dinner at Fazoli's (I've fallen in love with their chopped Italian salad).

We both enjoyed the movie in a very quiet theater. There were only about 6 other people watching with us. I wondered how this one would be with only 3 of the original cast returning but I felt it held up quite well. Penelope Cruz and Johnny Depp played very well against each other. We even stayed to the ends of the credits to see the little tickler for the next Pirates movie.

After the movie Claude suggested we have an ice cream for dessert. Off to Dairy Queen we sped.

This morning I came upstairs to give something to Claude. When I got to the top of the stairs there was a big box on the sofa with a note taped on top. Hmmm...I wandered over and read the note. It was in Claude's hand writing and said I could check the box I wanted this to be for. The options were Christmas, Anniversary, Mother's Day or Just Because.

I went on in to Claude's office and asked him what was with the box on the sofa. He said I would just have to open it and see. I proceeded to the kitchen for the scissors and back to the sofa to cut the tape on that box.

Inside was brown paper crumpled around something dark green. What in the world could this be. No shipping label on the box so I had absolutely no idea.

When I got to the item for me I could only laugh right out loud. Here was my present which I have placed on my front porch.
Yep, that's right, a green moss turtle. I do love turtles and this is a very unique one. I went to Claude's office after my laughter and told him it looked like a huge chia pet.  We both got a chuckle. He said it was much bigger than he thought it was when he ordered it.

It seems he ordered and received it last November. Then he tucked it in his closet to hide it (I only go in there for typing paper or an envelope) and promptly forgot it. Today he was looking in the closet for something and saw this big box. He says to himself, "Self, what is that big box." Then he began to remember that he forgot.

I love this getting older stuff. It creates gift giving events when you least expect them!!  (Honestly, he and I both do this forgetting more frequently now. The best thing is to enjoy the silliness of it all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment