Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dodging Raindrops...

Sunday was departure day for the remainder of our family…however…we woke up to the threat of rain.

Claude had a meeting in Frankfort early in the morning. He was out of the house right after 7am.

David was to be here between 8:30am and 9am to pick up Aubrey and Paul. We made sure Aubrey and Paul were packed and hadn’t left anything behind. We made sure they had their breakfast. David arrived and honked in the driveway. The kids ran to meet their dad. The Marx family and I helped get their luggage and items outside. They loaded the car and then they were on their way.

The Marx family was to leave right after this because Michael had soccer games to referee in the afternoon. However, Michael showed me a weather map on his cell phone while we were on the porch waving good-bye. Let me just say this map he enlarged two times so it honed in right on Kentucky had the brightest reds, oranges and yellows that were pleasant to the eye but not so much to the heart. The phone was also giving Michael an alert for a tornado warning for Oldham County where the Marx family lives. Yike!!

We headed back to the house after our goodbyes to Aubrey and Paul. Michael checked and his soccer games were cancelled for that day. The Marx family would stay at the house for a few more hours to be sure they were safe rather than driving in the storm. Good plan.

Claude called from Frankfort. He said it was pouring rain in Franklin County. He was headed to Owingsville, Kentucky and out of the storm.

I needed to get to Church to teach my Gospel Doctrine class. If I left right then, I would make it to part of sacrament meeting and enjoy a portion of the Father’s Day program with my Papa. I had prepared all the things I needed to take the Church with me and hurried to my sewing room closet to retrieve them. I got the bag of baby blankets to be tied and the black bag with my lesson materials in it. After hugs with the Marx’s, I loaded my car and headed into the storm.

I made it to Georgetown and decided to review my notes before going into the meetinghouse. Hmmmm…the cloth on the black bag I was trying to lift from the back seat to the front didn’t feel like the black bag with my Sunday School material in it. It was not…oh my goodness. I picked up the wrong bag.

I called Andie at my home and told her my error. I asked her to go back to my sewing room closet, get the correct bag and have it waiting when I returned home. She found it while I was on the phone with her.

Back into the storm I pointed my little red wonder car. It was definitely worse than when I first went into Georgetown. I made it home and found Andie and Bailey watching for me. Andie came out to the car and I put that bag in the car and headed back to Georgetown.

Now the storm was really raging and I was wondering if I could get there without an accident and on time. Geez!!!

I did manage to get there on time. I reviewed my notes a bit. Then climbed out of my car to hurry inside. Bro. Durkin saw me coming in the rain. He was headed to his car with his umbrella. Bless his heart, he came toward me and covered my head and walked me into the Church.

I have to say it all went well. I had to slow down a bit emotionally before I taught.  Claude made it to Owingsville and home just fine.  The Marx family dined on leftovers at our home and watched a Star Wars movie before heading to LaGrange. On arrival they found a major limb on one of their trees that broke off and was in their yard. Michael spent his afternoon cutting it up and disposing of it. They neighbor was not so fortunate. Their big wooden swing set/play gym was upturned with the winds. It made for a very exciting Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment