Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Katelyn's Request...

Katelyn eMailed me to see if I had a dress she could use for something at her college. I gave up all those kinds of clothes when we retired. The need was for a dress that was from the old English days and another that was from Biblical times. I think I have that right.

I sent Katelyn some links to websites for pattern companies with some specific ones noted that I thought might work. Katelyn reviewed these and picked the one she liked best. Then she sent me the link to the one she liked best and also a picture of Claude wearing a light blue shirt so I would have an idea of the color she needed.

I stopped by the fabric store in Frankfort on my way home from Andie's house before Thanksgiving and purchased fabric and notions to make the dress.

I didn't get it started before Thanksgiving and intended to work on it the Monday after Thanksgiving. Alas, I fell and really ruined my shoulder and didn't get to use it for about a week.

Yesterday was D-day (Dress Day) for me. I had that one day to get it sewn and ready to mail. I was able to start in the afternoon and had it almost completed by 11pm. I got up this morning and finished the belt and added the hook and eye to the back.

Here is the finished product (front and then back):
I'm sure it will hang much more nicely on Miss Katelyn than on that hanger on my door. But I think Katelyn did a great job of thinking that pattern through. As it is in the pictures will be that Old England look. I had a piece of the blue fabric left over and some of the trim that is sewn around the neck. Katelyn can place the extra fabric on her head and use the trim to tie around the fabric to make a kind of veil-like headpiece for the Biblical version.

This was my first time making something that laces up the back like this. I actually broke my pliers you use to put on the eyelets. Claude was able to repair them.

The box is in the mail and I hope this works for Katelyn. It's nice to be a Gramma even though I'm far away. 

1 comment: