Monday, December 19, 2011

Little Things...

When I was a child in Primary at Church, we sang a little song with these words:

Little drops of water,
Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean
And the beauteous land.

Little deeds of kindness,
Little words of love,
Make the earth as happy
As the heav'n above.

As I left the nursing home today, this little song from my childhood was drifting through my consciousness and I found myself singing to myself these words.

I came home and checked my hymnbooks with children's songs. I only found it in the green book titled "The Children Sing" and in the orange book titled "Sing With Me".  The oldest hymnbook that contained the hymns adults sang as well as the Primary songs did not have it. And the newer book does not have it.

I believe that music comes into my heart and head often to add an extra bit of feeling, thought and meaning to certain things. That is how it felt today as I sang this old little piece of music. It seems to sum up my weekend perfectly.

Saturday we were blessed to have our daughters, a son-in-law and 4 grandmonsters come for an overnight visit. It was a whirlwind of love and fun. Everyone arrived between 2:30pm and 3pm. Lots of hugs. Luggage was put in rooms. And the play began.

Claude brought a craft project idea from his Thanksgiving visit to Utah. It was a 'little thing' but it brought a lot of joy and fun to the beginning of our evening together.

He collected the supplies and we settled the four grandmonsters at the breakfast table and he directed their efforts to make snowmen out of a partial roll of toilet paper (the body), a styrofoam ball (the head) and a white sock. The kids picked their ribbon out of my stash for the neck and the waist. Nissa and Andie helped hot-glue the eyes on. Sharpies were used to paint faces on the snow men. Pipe cleaners were used for arms.
The grandmonsters then took their busy selves to the basement. They decorated the kids Christmas tree together.
There must always be a 'little' food art when Andie is around. This time she brought the makings for Pretzel Snowmen. Chocolate was melted and the candy to decorate them was set out. Many pretzel snowmen were made. A 'little' extra kindness was shown by making two that were pregnant; one for Katt and one for Odie.
While this was being accomplished, Michael helped me prepare dinner.
Bailey claimed Paul as her personal toy. She had him sit on the loveseat and covered him in pillows to turn him into a present. Then she adorned him with her pirate scarf from the Pirate Party on their Disney Cruise. Paul is very patient with Bailey and they have this wonderful bond. Their happiness together is infectious to say the least. Paul even announced to me this trip that he wants his first child to be a little girl. I think Bailey has captured his heart.
Papa and Tiny also joined us for the afternoon.
We had a wonderful dinner together. Well, we all ate as projects were finished and messes were picked up a bit.

Papa left as it started to get dark outside. We armed him with a 'little' pre-Christmas gift of Dr. McGillicuddy's Reindeer Root Beer and a Pretzel Snowman.
Claude was given two tickets to the University of Kentucky basketball game. He and Michael headed out for an evening of basketball at Rupp Arena.

Hayden set up the Christmas Matching Game and we played a round.
The grandmonsters had time for a movie before bed. We popped popcorn for them and settled them in the basement.

While they watched their movie we put 2 more buttons and button holes on Todd's shirt, wrapped some presents and I finished a present Papa brought me the final pieces to when he came.

The grandmonsters were all tucked in their beds in the basement. The Mini's love having sleepovers now with Aubrey and Paul.
Nissa, Andie and I were able to have a little quiet time. Andie ran a slideshow through the TV of their cruise pictures and we worked on craft projects.

This morning I got up and found Aubrey with Hayden and Bailey snuggling on the loveseat. They were being very quiet so the rest of us could get maximum sleep. That is truly a 'little kindness'.

I had Hayden and Bailey help me get the cinnamon and orange rolls in the oven. Then we scrambled eggs and fried bacon. Showers were had. Bags were brought up and checked. We had all our ducks in a row forwhen David arrived to take Aubrey and Paul for Christmas.

During all this preparation Hayden and Bailey found the 'Elf on a Shelf' on the top of our living room curtains. This little guy appears somewhere different every morning. During the night he hurries back to report to Santa on the behavior of Hayden and Bailey. I wish I had a recording when Hayden showed Bailey where the 'Elf' was. She was beside herself with glee. Hayden was fairly beaming. Just love the magic of Christmas games.
Paul and Aubrey left. Claude headed to Frankfort. Nissa loaded her car and left. Then the Marx family gathered up and headed back to LaGrange. I finished my preparations and headed into Georgetown to Church.

After Church we had choir practice and tithing settlement. I went to the nursing home to sit with my mom. She was tucked in her bed for her afternoon rest. She was mumbling away to that unseen person in the room. I straightend her clothes and then sat by her bed to read my novel to her.

The nurse came in with a liquid supplement for my mother to drink. I assured her I would help my mom drink it. She patted me on the shoulder. Then she took time to do one of those 'little things'. She told me about her memory of mom helping her with the medicines when she was still walking around. Mom didn't actually do anything with the medicines but she would stand there and wipe the cabinet and tell her they had to do things just right. She commented on what a kind and sweet person my mother still is. Then she told me how wonderful it was I sat and read to my mother. She commented how lots of people don't do things like that for their loved ones. She then assured me that, even though Mimi has late stages Alzheimers, she feels sure Mimi knows I'm doing something for her and appreciates it. It was a 'little thing' but it sure made me feel good.

I visited Papa and took some 'little things' he has made for his grandkids for Christmas. I wrapped them for him last night. He doesn't keep Christmas wrapping paper and I have lots. So he left the gifts and I wrapped them. Now he can send off his gifts in the mail Monday. Again, it is a 'little gift' but it is a truly big gift for these grandchildren his loves.

So, I came home singing 'Little Things' as I pondered all the little acts of love and kindness that touched my life over the last couple of days. In the rush of the Christmas season, it just felt good to pause mentally as I drove back to Sadieville and be grateful for all the 'little things' that bless my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment