Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Birthday Song...

Last year I struggled with birthdays. I'm usually ahead of the game and ready to mail packages in plenty of time for birthdays. Not last year. I just couldn't get it together. Everyone got their gifts but I always felt slow and behind in getting the gifts and getting them mailed.

This year I wanted to not be in that position. Girl Scout cookies were purchased. I picked them up and wrapped them and put them in the box in the order the birthdays occur.

I was ready for Bailey before her birthday in February.

March we have four birthdays. Gifts were purchased and ready to be mailed in plenty of time to be there on Aubrey, Andie, Nissa and Paul's birthdays.

For April, Todd got his present today (his birthday) and called to thank us. Jake's is ready for me to box up to mail.

Papa comes in May. Claude and I looked at giving him a steamboat ride during the Great Steamboat Race that is a part of Derby Days in Louisville. After several phone calls about the particulars of this event, we decided it would be more fun to just get the steamboat ride at another time. Then Claude suggested the lunch or dinner train that begins in Bardstown Kentucky. I talked with Papa yesterday and gave him his choices. He has chosen well. He will be riding through the Kentucky countryside on the Bardstown lunch train in May.

So birthdays are runny much better for me this year. This makes me happy.

The pitiful part, an trust me, pitiful is the best word for it, is Claude and I singing "Happy Birthday" to our family.

Now, Claude and I know a little about music. We play instruments and we both sing. We are not professional musicians by any stretch of the imagination but, come on, "Happy Birthday" is not the most difficult piece of music to sing. And yet...we have managed on two occasions this year, while trying to sing "Happy Birthday" to our family members over the phone when we called on their birthday, to butcher, truly butcher, that well known little ditty.

The saving grace was calling on Aubrey's birthday just as the family was getting ready to light the candles on her birthday cake and sing to her. Nissa put us on speaker and we chimed in quite nicely for Aubrey with the family in Michigan. Today Todd called us and I sang by myself so it went fairly well.

Jake...steel yourself...you are next. Will it be a rendition you can even recognize?  One can only hope!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment