Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Clean up, Clean up, Everybody Does His Share...

Last Saturday morning, April 16th, was Sadieville Clean Up Day. We have done this in April the last 3 years.

This year we combined the forces of the Friends of Sadieville Renaissance and the Sadieville City Commission to do the clean up, while also inviting the citizens the join us.

We were very blessed that the county sent the inmates on Friday to pick up Pike Street (Hwy 32) through Sadieville. Thank you Scott County!!

We were to begin at 9am. When Claude and I got to Main Street at 8:30am to prepare for the clean up, Detta was already there. This lady is amazing. She walked from her home on the hill cleaning up the streets of her neighborhood as she came down. That meant we only had Vine Street and the other streets on the Main Street side of Pike Street to pick up. We could do this!!

With rain clouds moving in quickly, we disperse garbage bags and reflective vests to the participants, took our assignments and the lovely sticks Claude made to pick up paper without bending over and headed out to our assigned streets. My was Vine Street.

I walked Vine Street last time we cleaned and felt it would be easy to do that one again. As I started up the hill on Vine Street it started to sprinkle. I just kept on moving up the street. The biggest item I found was a deflated basket ball. As I got over the top of the hill and started down the hill it really started to rain. I just pressed on. Rain or no, I was cleaning my assigned street.

We had two trees that fell across Hwy 32 at either end of Sadieville the day before and Claude was in the Jeep making sure all the debris was off Hwy 32. As he came back into town he saw me come down the last leg of Vine Street. He pulled up to pick me and my bag-O' Garbage up. As I climbed into his Jeep, soaked through, I just looked at my dear hubby and said, "I'm a 'y'ittle wet, Pa."  He just chuckled at me.

We had some of the members of Eagle Creek Baptist Church participate this year. One of them was a little girl maybe 6 or 7 years old. I spoke to her after we were finished and told her what a great job she did and what a good thing she did by helping to clean up her town. She said, "Well...part of this belongs to my church so it is our 'responsibility'."  What valuable lessons this young lady learned Saturday morning.

Sadieville's streets are picked up for this spring. Thank you to everyone who willingly participated. It was a good sense of community, even if it did rain on us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment