Thursday, April 7, 2011

Menopause...

I was beginning to feel those lovely experiences called 'hot flashes' in 1999 and 2000. I knew it was about time for the next phase of my 'femininity' to manifest itself in all its splendor.

February 16, 2000 I culminated some medical issues with a complete hysterectomy. After the surgery, I remember laying in the hospital bed and those little 'hot flashes' I had been experiences were now full blown heat waves. I was miserable. It amazed me how quickly that happened. The evening after my surgery, my doctor came to the room to see how I was doing. I told him I really needed something to get rid or lessen these hot flashes. He understood, didn't seem surprise and the speed and ferocity with which they came, and immediately prescribed Premarin.

I loved these little pills. I do not take medicine unless it is really, really needed. I have no daily medicines I take now except my vitamin, calcium and a Tums each night to complete my calcium for the day and help with a reflux issue inherited from my father's genes. However, there are times when you really, really need to take the meds and Premarin became a dear friend. With it...no hot flashes. I was happy.

The end of 2002 and beginning of 2003 there were lots of news stories about the effects of women taking hormone replacements resulting experiencing an increase in breast cancer. I looked at my Premarin and determined I would rather 'flash' than increase my risk for breast cancer. Premarin and I parted ways. The 'flashes' returned with a vengence.

Two months later in January 2003 during my routine mammogram, a little mass was found that was a concern. I was sent immediately to get an ultrasound.  This confirmed the need to have this little tiny mass removed. Yuck!!!

I visited the surgeon, he explained what would happen, and we scheduled the surgery.

February 26, 2003, I went to Shady Grove Hospital in Rockville, Maryland for my surgery. They did another mammogram, determined where the mass was and placed a needle there. Leaving the needle in, they did another mammogram, left me in the mammogram device while they read the first mammogram, came back, moved the needle and took another mammogram. It was less that pleasant but the purpose was to have an exact location of where to cut that mass out and be sure they got everything in one surgery. Well worth the pain I assure you.

My lobular neoplasia was gone. They had clean margins after the surgery. However, to be extra sure I was prescribed Tamoxifin for the next 5 years. Tamoxifin helps to assure you are free of those bad cells which is good. However, not so good is the fact it intensifies your hot flashes and causes you to gain weight. Oh joy!!!

My belief, for the next 5 years, was that when I completed my obedient taking of Tamoxifin, that drug would eventually leave my system and I would be past the hot flash stages of my feminine journey. Wrong!!!

March 14, 2008 was the last day I took Tamoxifin. I had that date emblazoned in my memory and was anticipating the cessation of hot flashes, the stopping of easy weight gain, and movin' on with my life. I put that date in my Palm Pilot so I would and could rejoice when it arrived.

It arrived. I rejoiced.  I stopped taking Tamoxifin.  The hot flashes have continued to this day.

Then I heard about the interestingly named play..."Menopause the Musical".  I just remember talking to someone, can't remember who, and they saw the play and loved it.

When we went to Las Vegas in January of this year, it was playing at one of the hotels in Vegas. We opted to see other shows.

When we got home, I got an eMail from the Lexington Opera House with listings of upcoming shows with the opportunity to purchase tickets before actual sales opened to the public. To my surprise "Menopause the Musical" was on the list.

I hurried upstairs and shared with Claude my desire to see this play and have him accompany me...hmmmm... He agreed and I hurried downstairs to purchase tickets.

Last night we went to see "Menopause the Musical". Claude was a good sport being there. There were other men, but not many.

I laughed a lot. So many aspects of this are now or have been a part of my progression through this phase of being a female. It was great to poke fun and find humor in those things that can be a struggle. It was great to know other women go through the same steps you are going through. It was great to all join in the humor one finds in looking back at those little trials that make up the menopause experience.

The four ladies that make up this cast were clearly comfortable with this point in their own personal lives. Which put all of us at ease with the play. The music was great music that we had loved years ago and now had lyrics put to it to tell the story. Stage set up was simple and added to and did not detract from these four great women performing.

I'm very happy I saw this fun play. I'm grateful my hubby went with me. And I truly look forward to the day when there are no more hot flashes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment