Friday, April 29, 2011

This Bed Was Toooooo Soft...

We have a beautiful bedroom set. It's got a high head board and is very heavy wood and very old fashioned looking.

Years ago Claude and I went to a new furniture store in our neighborhood in Maryland. We walked through the entire store of beautiful furniture and only found one thing we liked at all, this wonderful bedroom set. We both really, really liked it but walked out of the store without even trying to purchase it.

Later that year, after the tax refund came, we returned to the furniture store to look at that bedroom set again. It was still there and we determined we would get it with our tax refund. We purchased and set a delivery date.

Claude was home for the delivery. The guys struggled to get that furniture up the stairs. We lived in a town house. They had to come in the front door and make a turn up the stairs to the second floor. The furniture was extremely heavy. One piece wouldn't come up the stairs and they ended up hoisting it through a sliding glass door that would have gone to a balcony if one had been built there. After getting the pieces together, they put the mattress and box springs on it. These were new also and much deeper than our old set.

When they got the mattress and box springs on the bed frame, Claude looked at it and shook his head. He said to these poor delivery guys who worked much harder than they thought they were going to, "My little wife will never be able to get into that bed. It is way too tall."

To this the very unsympathetic delivery man said, "She can run down the hallway and jump!"  Claude and I have reflected on that statement and laughed often over the years.

Fast forward to our move to Kentucky. I was here and Claude was in Maryland. He had not quite retired yet. I took delivery of our furniture the day after I arrived in Kentucky. The movers set up the beds for me and put the mattresses and box springs on them for me. I did not notice thy put the old mattress and box springs on our bed and the newer mattress and box springs on the old bed in the guest bedroom. For six years we have left the mattresses on the wrong beds.

The past few years Claude has complained about his side of the bed being uncomfortable. We have talked about changing the mattress and box springs between the two beds but never done it.

Tuesday night we took a couple to have ice cream with us. Even that night we had a discussion with these people about the poor quality of the mattress. They shared how uncomfortable their mattress was. Claude commented that he was waiting to catch me changing sheets so I didn't have to replace sheets after moving the mattresses. I had a chuckle and told him I changed the sheets on the guest bed that morning and put them in the washer. They were flannel and I wanted cotton sheets on that bed for the summertime. We laughed at the silliness of this.

Wednesday morning Claude and I took the older mattress off our bed and leaned it against the loveseat in the living room. Then we went to take the box springs off the frame. Our bed is made like an older bed and has a deep wood side rail that the box springs sits down in. As soon as we looked at the box springs sitting inside this deep wood frame we knew Claude had been sleeping in a hole. There was a big indented place on his side.

Claude lifted the box springs out of the deep wood frame and I immediately noticed a piece of wood sticking out of the cloth lining on the back of the box springs. The wood support across the middle of the bottom was broken. No wonder my poor hubby has been so uncomfortable these last few years.

We got the newer mattress and box springs on our bed. Claude found the right piece of wood to repair the older box springs. Both beds are now made and ready to use again. Whew!!!

I just have to add that I feel like I'm sleeping on some kind of altar or platform. I'm not used to being that high in the air again. It takes a bit of effort to hoist myself up onto the top of this bed. But I do think my hubby is now able to rest a might easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment