Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Circle of Stars...

I just love Moravian stars. I think they are absolutely beautiful.

I first saw them and knew what they were when Claude and I visited Old Salem in North Carolina. I purchased one for our Christmas tree.

Andie found directions for making them and eMailed the link to me. I saved the link while I looked for ribbon to make them with.

They don't make a lot of the paper ribbon in 3/4 inch widths. They still make it for the curling ribbon but not the old paper ribbon we used to wrap presents with. I finally found some in Walmart this last Christmas. I wanted white but they never had white. So I purchased red, blue, green and lime green.

I set to making star after I found the right ribbon. It took me an entire evening to figure out the instructions. There is one place where you must flip the ribbon just right or the center of the star doesn't stand as it should. Once I got that part down I was off and creating.

I filled a big box with stars. Why so many stars you might ask? First, I make a handmade ornament for the people on our block, the people Claude and I work with at City Hall and in our community and the people we visit teach and home teach and serve with at Church. It totals up to needing about 50 of whatever ornament I happen to choose to make. This year I'm giving everyone a star that has a string threaded through one of the points to  hang on their tree. Second, the pattern came with a picture of a cute wreath made out of Moravian stars. That was something I was sure I needed to try. So I filled my box with all kinds of colors of stars.

As the year wore on I realized our Countryside Homemakers would need four Christmas items donated from our club for the Membership Auction. I thought I could make a wreath out of the stars for that. Then the Countryside Homemakers decided to set up a booth at Sadieville in September on September 8th and use the proceeds of the items we sell that we donated for the book pack program to feed needy kids at the public school. I could make a wreath for that. I also wanted a wreath for myself.

I hit the craft store and purchased 4 wire wreath forms. I came home and spray painted them silver per the instructions for making the star wreaths. I purchased 4 spools of ribbon with wire in it from Walmart in 3 different colors. I pulled out my hot glue gun. Today I finished the last of my wreaths.
The colors in this picture are kind of skewed. What appears as purple is really a nice royal blue.

The first wreath I made is the bottom right and it has all the colors of stars in it. The second wreath I made is the top right and that bow is blue not black. The third wreath I made is the top left and was only done in the two shades of green with an occasional red star. The intent was to have it appear like holly. It will look that way to me but may not to others. The last wreath I made is the bottom left and is all blue stars with a silver glitter bow. My intent is to find something with the University of Kentucky logo hot glue it to the two blue wreaths. That should make them sell like hot cakes. We do 'bleed blue' in this part of Kentucky.

I'm planning on keeping the wreath that is supposed to look like holly. The others will be donated for the other purposes mentioned above.

Now I will have the rest of the year to string the other Moravian starts so they can be Christmas ornaments. Yeah me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment