Tuesday, August 14, 2012

You Say Crape...I Say Crepe...

This morning I hurried to the mail box at the end of driveway to get my letter in before the mail carrier came. As I turned to come back into our home this was what I saw.
Okay, maybe I should have waited to take the picture until after Claude cut the grass. But I just couldn't. This was my view and it was bursting with joy.

About four years ago we put this little plant in the ground. It grew okay the first summer. The next summer it appeared to not be alive at all. Claude ran over it with the lawn mower one summer and we thought that would be its demise.

This year it came back from a very dead state with lots of strong branches. It appeared we would have a banner year. Then the freeze hit late in the spring. Everything on it died. The limbs felt brittle. We were pretty sure we were going to lose this plant.

However, experience has now taught us that this plant is one of the last to burst back to life after shutting down for the winter, so we just let it stay to see what would happen. Eventually the limbs started coming out and it developed leaves. Then we saw lots and lots of buds. We've watched limb after limb slowly burst into color. This morning I think it is at or close to its peak.

Now, I've always spelled Crepe Myrtle with an 'e'. I've done a bit of research and found you can spell it with an 'a'. I'm going to stick with the 'e' version myself.

I also checked about pruning it. One source said, "If you don't know what you are doing, it is best to leave it alone." I'm thinking Claude and I will go with that philosophy regarding pruning this little bit of joy in our yard. If you don't prune it right you get few limbs and therefore few blossoms. I'm fond of these blossoms in great abundance and will just let nature take its course.

Hope you enjoy our bursting with joy Crepe Myrtle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment