Thursday, August 16, 2012

Look...Up In The Sky...It's A...

Yesterday morning I hurried out to get the mail. I heard a sound I'm not use to hearing in the quiet of country living. I looked up in the sky and found it.
There it was, a helicopter. It was circling and circling and circling and circling (that word looks funny when you type it that many times) around Burgess Heights. This is a street in Sadieville that is on the top of a hill.

I stopped with my mail in hand and pulled the old flower stems off three of my day lily plants in the front flower bed and it was still circling.

I stood on the front porch and watched for a bit and it was still circling.

I took my mail inside and retrieved my camera. When I went back outside, it was still circling. What in the world was going on?

Detta lives in the last house on the top of the hill on Burgess Heights. I called her to be sure everything was okay there. She had been at JoCarol's just before I called. JoCarol lives five houses down from me. Detta explained this helicopter had already spent a fair amount of time circling Eagle Bend (our sub-division) before heading over to the Burgess Heights area. I missed this because I had been in my basement during that time and didn't hear any of this noise.

I posted to Facebook to see if anyone in Sadieville was aware of why we would have a helicopter circling our quiet little 'ville'. Others were aware but not sure why the helicopter seemed to be circling so long.

I watched a bit of the evening news. There I found the answer.

Our crack Sheriff Tony Hampton was out with the helicopter doing surveillance for marijuana. They happened upon 200 plants along Hwy 32 that someone was growing. They valued the plants at $2,000 each. That would be $400,000 in product. Yike!!

I heard another story from Jessamine County where their Sheriff's Department found 154 plants but they only valued them at $1,000 - $1,200 per plant. I'm not sure why Scott County's marijuana would be worth more. Maybe it is that good clay and rock soil we have here. Hah!!

Such a flurry of activity in our little 'ville'. Happy the Sheriff's Department decided to do a search earlier in the year and cleared these plants. The things humanity does sometimes just amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment