Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That Family Thang...

Saturday I was blessed with a few hours of family time. It was the weekend for Aubrey and Paul to be returned to their mom, Nissa. They were due to arrive between 2pm and 3pm. Andie and the Mini's were going to come and spend the night with us so the cousins could play together. I also invited Papa to join us Saturday evening for dinner and fun. Nissa and Andie would head to their respective homes Sunday morning early.

We filled our time with food, games, movies, and fun. I only took a few pictures. The first one was of Hayden. He noticed that Claude was not going to be with us. He climbed up in the rocking chair where Claude likes to sit. Then he announced we should reassign seating since Pa was not here. He determined he should get the rocker. I took a picture and eMailed it to Claude to alert him of the new change in seating assignments.
I put a nice roast in the crock pot that morning. I also put rolls out to rise during the day. Andie made a slaw out of red cabbage. We made some mashed potatoes. My home smelled sooooo good. We enjoyed dinner not long after Papa arrived. This then gave us the rest of the evening to play.

While we were eating dinner, someone asked if I could give them a haircut that night. Then someone else asked if they could also get a trim. Hayden heard these questions. Then he said, "Does anyone have a wallet?" That caught every one's attention because the question didn't seem to fit with the conversation. But it did fit. Hayden paused after the question and when we were all looking at him he gave the follow-up comment that explained his question. He said, "It seems someone should be paying Ma to give all these haircuts." We all cracked up. Andie assured him that Ma was happy with a hug and a thank you for giving hair cuts. It was one of those cute moments I'll remember forever.

Aubrey listened to Papa share stories about his life. He was so happy sitting on the sofa with his arm around her as she listened to him sharing those stories.

Aubrey and Paul took the Mini's out for a round of blowing bubbles. Nissa brought the Mini's each a little pail with bubbles to be put in them. The kids used all those plus my big jug of bubbles stuff.
Hayden and Paul are growing their hair out. Aubrey spent some time combing Hayden's longer hair for him.
Paul showed us the tie-dyed T-shirt and cap he made this summer.
Hayden and Paul watched a Harry Potter movie while Bailey curled up in my bedroom to watch her show giving the adults some time to talk. We had ice cream. The grandmonsters would have a sleepover in the basement. It was a full evening.

Sunday morning we had a big breakfast together before everyone hit the road. I pulled out paper and the kids colored the letters "H" "I" "P" "A". Then the kids lined up on the front porch for a picture to send the Claude (Pa) that said "Hi Pa".
It was great fun to have this time with family. Come on Christmas...

Epilogue:  Sunday afternoon I went to Papa's apartment for a visit. I asked him if he had a good time. He grinned really big and said he did. I told him that Andie commented Saturday evening that he seemed perky and even added some humor to the evening. Papa then grinned more and said he did have a great time. He even commented about a moment when Aubrey looked up at him and said, "I love you, Papa." He was very touched by that sentiment. I think it was the happiest I have seen Papa since Mimi passed. Good stuff this family thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment