Saturday, June 11, 2016

A Tender Learning Moment...

Wednesday evenings I teach an Institute Class at Church. The age group is called Young Single Adults and ranges from 18 (or high school graduate) to 30. Married can attend if they are in the age bracket. This semester our course of study is the New Testament focusing on the Gospels.

This week I had two students and two missionaries attend. One of my students, Cody Byrd, joined the Church about a year ago. This last month, after our Stake Conference, he was ordained and received the Melchizedek Priesthood. One of the missionaries attending was actually only in Georgetown for the day. His area of service is really Frankfort, Kentucky. It turns out Elder Langston was very sick. My heart ached for him. He and his companion, Elder McIntyre, frequently had to get up and get him to the bathroom. I would have offered Pepto-Bismol had I had any in my purse. Sometimes I do because I carry it when we travel and it just stays in my purse after a trip. This night I had none.

When class was over, Cody helped fold up the chairs. This missionaries left. Then the missionaries returned and quietly asked Cody if he was a Melchizedek Priesthood holder. Cody had that 'deer in the headlights' look. He is fairly new to the Church and definitely new to holding the Melchizedek Priesthood. There is a lot of responsibility involved in that and he is just a couple of weeks into learning all that responsibility. I told the Elders that Cody is a very new Melchizedek Priesthood holder and that he could definitely help them but he would need a little training from them first. They were very happy to oblige.

Elder McIntyre took a little white covered pocket-sized book out and opened to the page with instruction for blessing the sick. It is a two part ordinance. One elder anoints the head of the person receiving the blessing. Then the other elder puts his hands on the persons head with the elder who did the anointing and he seals the blessing. During this portion the actual blessings is given to the person. Cody needed to do the anointing. There are specific words to be said and they must be given verbatim, no deviation. I was allowed to hold that little white book up so Cody could see these words. Elder Langston gave Cody his full name as shown on the records of the Church. We were ready.

Cody put the drop of oil on Elder Langston's head, then placed his hands on Elder Langston's head and said the words necessary for the anointing. Then Elder McIntyre placed his hands on Elder Langston's head and Cody placed his hand on top of Elder McIntyre's hands and a blessing was given and sealed by Elder McIntyre. It was just a most tender moment. 

As they left, I told Elder Langston,  "I was very sorry for his illness. But I was grateful for the opportunity it gave this new elder, Cody Byrd, to use his priesthood." What a lovely teaching moment.

Footnote: My very dear friend, Laura Carter and her family reside in the Frankfort Ward. I told Elder Langston, who knows the Carter family, that Laura makes a wonderful chicken soup. He should contact her and I was sure she would take care of him. He had a chuckle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment