Monday, June 27, 2016

Something Wicked This Way Comes...

Thursday, June 23rd, we had a lovely storm. I happened to walk out on the deck in the back of our home and noticed we were right on what appeared to be the edge. I took a few pictures and a video then I headed back in the house.
Claude was out-of-town and I was busy moving things out of the main level of our home. It didn't take long for the storm to arrive. I added a weather app from our local television station and my first alert was a man's voice coming from my phone telling me to take shelter immediately. It kind of took me by surprise. Being alone you really don't expect to hear a strong male voice warning you to take shelter. I put on my sneakers, made sure I had something to drink and my cell phone and went to the basement. So much for accomplishing what I was trying to do. 

Into the storage at the back of the basement I went with my laptop. The television reception on the satellite was gone. But I was still getting Internet on my laptop. And I had the weather app on my cellphone. So I was tracking everything that was happening. Then the warning siren in Sadieville started to go. It would go for a long, long time, then wind down. As soon as it was wound down, it would go off again for a long, long time. This seemed like it went on for 2 hours. I'm sure it wasn't that long but that is how long it felt. 

I called Papa when I got the first male warning voice. He is so deaf he doesn't hear the warning siren in his apartment. And, he is oblivious to the wind and rain unless he pays very close attention. I called Papa a second time when the sirens in Sadieville kept going off and I could tell by the radar on my cell phone and laptop that this thing was right over Sadieville and headed toward Georgetown. I told Papa he could shelter in his storage in the middle of his home for safety. He assured me nothing was happening in Georgetown. He had television reception so he put his phone so I could hear it. I had information overload and I knew I was safe in my basement. 

The end result of this storm was that some friends saw funnel clouds form in the Stamping Ground area. They did not touch the ground. We were very fortunate with that. Stamping Ground was almost wiped out before we moved here with a tornado.  Nothing like a little weather excitement.

Claude was texting me to alert him as to how things were going weather wise. I sent several texts. I asked him if they had a place to shelter in Bowling Green. The storm went there after going through Lexington. He said they did...they went to a local restaurant for dinner. Geez!!

No comments:

Post a Comment