Friday, June 10, 2016

Irises and things...

Wednesday morning (June 8th) found me out in the yard early. When I visited the Marx family last weekend, I noticed that Andie's irises blossoms were also done blossoming. I checked the Internet and learned that you are to cut the blossom stem down at that time. Did not know that. I also learned you should not put mulch around the base of irises. Did not know that either but I didn't do that anyway.

So, Tuesday evening after preparing three Institute lessons and before beginning preparation of the fourth, I took a break and went the front flower bed and cut all the dead blossoms off my peonies. I mean, surely they need the same care as irises, right?

Then, Wednesday morning, I spent my morning cutting the blossom stems off the irises, cleaning the dead leafs from around them, weeding the beds and taking the dead branches off the blueberry bushes. A good morning's work if I do say so myself.  

When I finished the iris / blueberry beds, I went to the bed just below them where Claude planted two blackberry bushes. I was going to weed it before calling it quits with that days yard work. To my delight, there were blossoms and berries on these fairly new plants.
After a nice shower, I went out to our back yard to just look. Then I went to the front yard to just look. I liked what I saw.
Then Claude came home and one of his afternoon chores was planting a new butterfly bush. We have two and only one came up this year.  We love these bushes and Claude purchased another to plant.
The yard is really looking good. We are happy with how it is turning out as the years go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment