Monday, June 13, 2016

Sitting in Style...

Another very full day. Friends of Sadieville meeting in the morning. Man was supposed to call and come talk to us about painting the main level of our home. It is 9:43pm and he hasn't called or come yet. Not a good sign. Claude stayed home all day to talk with painter who never showed. I completed some things after the Friends meeting and then went to Georgetown to buy Papa's groceries and do some cleaning. Then to buy a few groceries for us and the Marx's who will visit for 3 days.

Before I left, Claude started on an outside project he has planned and purchased materials for and not had time to get it done. Today he did it. And it looks GREAT!!

We purchased a dogwood tree that will have pink blossoms. We are both very happy with this tree and it looks great in the backyard. Seems to have taken root and is growing well. Claude's plan was to build a half retaining wall on the downhill side and put a flat top on it. The intent is that, as the tree continues to grow, this will be a great place for the grandmonsters to sit. It will also help retain any water coming down the hill for the tree and keep the ground and grass from washing down the hill (the gophers started this journey).

This is grueling work on the hill. Fortunately the morning started out very nice and it wasn't too hot. But by the time Claude finished it was hot and he was spent, completely spent.

Here is the process and the finished project.
While Claude worked on this, I purchased Papa's groceries and got them put away. Then I started to clean his apartment. Things moved really well. I got everything done on my list and just needed to wash his feet and clip his toenails. 

Papa said, "I need to go to the bathroom." I told him that was great and I would get the tub of water and towels ready while he took care of business. 

I got all my stuff ready and then I waited. He didn't come out and I couldn't hear any action in the bathroom. I busied myself with some odd things in the apartment and started to look at my clock. Fifteen minutes at least passed by and still no noise. I'm concerned but trying to remain calm. Papa is 88 and not in great shape. One never knows.

After a good bit more, he finally came out of the bathroom and he was a mess. Clearly he had hurled and his clothes were wet. He was pale as could be and obviously very drained. I told him we needed to clean him up but he just didn't have the strength. He went to his chair and sat down. 

After some questions from me and some answers by him, it seems he was fine when he went into the bathroom and then he was just sick, very, very sick. Fortunately there is a plastic trash can by his 'throne'. He was really a mess and very drained. I went to finish re-cleaning the bathroom. When I came back out, he was fast asleep in his chair. 

I sent Claude a text and told him Papa was very sick and I just needed to sit with him for a bit. That I would text him when things were better and then I would get our groceries and head home. 

Such is my life, I watched Papa's breathing and his heart beat while he breathed. At one point his breathing was so very shallow. It reminded me of sitting holding Mom's hand as she breathed her last breath. It would not have surprised me to see this be Papa's last breath. In my heart, it was okay. That is not weird when death is the thing you are living until it happens. My prayer is that it will be peaceful for Papa. This would have been peaceful. And I would have been happy with that answer to my prayer. 

Papa slept for a good 30 minutes before he woke up. He turned his head and saw me there and was a bit disoriented for a minute. He thought I had come in while he was sleeping. Then he began to remember. I asked if he wanted anything. He said he didn't. I told him we really needed to get him in clean clothing. He waited until he was sure he was okay, then I took clean clothes out of his closet and dresser and left him to change. He made a trip to the bathroom and everything was fine. Color was coming back in his cheeks and he was sounding more like he usually does.

I gathered up his dirty things and added them to the laundry basket of his linens I had changed when cleaning that was already in the trunk of my car. Papa was okay for now. Nothing like a little excitement to end my visit with him. He gave me a big hug and a happy thank you and I left. 

I got our groceries and returned to Sadieville to do his laundry and boil his eggs. Life is just a grand adventure of many, many ups and downs in a day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment