Sunday, June 5, 2016

Armed Forces Day Picnot...

What to do? What to do? What to do? 

The Friends of Sadieville planned and prepared to have another Armed Forces Day Picnic. The purpose is to have a community event and raise funds to restore the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church so it will become the Sadieville Community Center. Assignments were made and everyone was ready to have the picnic on Saturday, May 21st at 10am. However, the beginning of the week the weatherman predicted rain for Saturday. We had rain for the 2015 Armed Forces Day Picnic and people just don't want to come out in the rain.

Thursday, May 19th, we were watching the weather all day to see if there were any changes. For a bit I thought we might not get much until the afternoon. Then the forecast changed. We decided we needed to make our decision about holding the picnic by Friday so the word could be spread not to come (just in case there was one soul that thought a picnic in the rain was a good idea). 

Friday the weather forecast was for a rain storm at 10am. That was the start time for the picnic. Calls were made and we confirmed that our consensus was to cancel the picnic. Not a fun decision to make but a necessary one. 

The plus...I now had Friday to fill mostly as I chose. I spend the morning with Papa and the afternoon scanning and cleaning out files. Yippee! More stuff out of my home. 

Saturday morning Claude and I opted to have breakfast at Waffle House, just for fun. Claude had loaded our old computers and electronics and some old paint in the Jeep. Toyota was have a free recycling day for those things that are hard to recycle. After breakfast we were off to get that recycling taken care of.

Toyota has this down to a science. They use a gravel parking lot behind all their other buildings. The traffic pattern is set so that you drive in one lane. There were people there giving out free tomato plants and free bags to carry groceries and things in that were made out of recycled materials. When you got to the end of this lane you turned and came back up the next lane toward your exit. Along this lane was an area to turn in old cans of paint and chemicals. A little further down was a station to turn in old electronics. Then you were out the gate and on your way home. Clearly, Toyota has had lots of experience with this free event. We managed to get some more things out of our home. Yippee!!
We went back to our Casa and had a few hours before heading to Lexington for Stake Conference. This is a two day Church meeting held twice a year (usually, sometimes they sneak a special on in). Claude had meetings from 4pm to 6pm Saturday. I had to join him for a 7pm meeting. I rode in with Claude for his meeting and did two errands and then sat in my car in the rain working on my Institute lessons. 

Saturday afternoon I tried to call Papa several times during a 45 minute time period. His phone was busy the entire time. I just assumed my sister, Junie, was talking to him. I didn't feel any concern. We went to our 7pm meeting and got home about 9:30pm. I tried one more time to call Papa. Again the phone was busy. Now I was a little concerned but still, in my heart, I didn't really feel that there was a problem. I did feel that he wasn't talking to Junie. But knowing his memory lately, I figured he took the phone off the hook to answer it and then didn't put it back on until the battery was down. I tried calling after a bit and it rang a couple of times and then went busy again. I was now pretty sure it was the phone battery.

Sunday morning I called Papa before we left for the Sunday meetings in Lexington. I got through just fine. Sure enough, he could not get the phone to work and pushed all the buttons in all kinds of order and then gave up and put the phone in the holder. I'm sure that is when it recharged and was ready to go. Papa was okay and we were off to the meetings.

We had lunch at Chipotle and then back to Sadieville we went. Time to prepare Institute lessons.

Good weekend. Full but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment