Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I Looked Like Donna Reed...

Saturday, September 9th, and Sunday, September 10th, were a weekend I told my hubby that I felt like Donna Reed. If you are young, you don't have a clue about Donna Reed. When I was a child, the Donna Reed show was a television sitcom along with Father Knows Best and several others. The mother's in these shows all woke up in the morning and got dressed in a dress and heels and that was what they wore ALL DAY LONG!!! If you know me at all, you will know I love being barefoot best. I love jeans and a sweatshirt in the winter and capri's and a t-shirt in the summer. I am a very casual person. But this particular weekend I awoke in the morning and put on a dress and heels and stayed that way all day long...both days!! It was grueling!!

Saturday the 9th, my first event was Time Out for Sisters. This is done each year by our Stake Relief Society presidency. They have amazing speakers for two hours. Then they serve an equally amazing lunch to all the ladies who attend. A gift bag is given to each lady attending. This year I was asked to play the organ. I haven't done that in a couple of years. I spent two hours practicing on the organ in our Georgetown building and two hours practicing at the Stake Center before the Saturday event. All that for a half hour of prelude and three hymns. But it was great fun to be playing the organ again. The event was really, really good. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the speakers that day:

  1. Love, guided by the Spirit, is Christlike love. ~~ Sally Daetwyler, Assistant Temple Matron, Louisville Temple
  2. Christlike love goes the extra mile. ~~ Sally Daetwyler, Assistant Temple Matron, Louisville Temple
  3. There is nothing normal about being happy all the time. ~~ Kimberly Toronto, LDS Family Therapist
My next event was the Seminary & Institute Inservice. Another really good meeting. Then I was off to visit with Papa for a bit. Then back to our casa in Sadieville where I took a few minutes to work on my Institute lesson for the next Wednesday evening. Then Claude and I drove back to the Stake Center for a mini-Devotional for the Camino Branch for the Self-Reliance Initiative.

Then I went home and got out of my Donna Reed costume for Saturday.

Sunday the 10th, I dressed in a fresh set of Donna Reed-like clothes and was off too Church with Claude, then a visit with Papa, then home to finish up my Institute lessons. In the evening I went to Georgetown and picked up Nikki and took her to the Alumni Building to have dinner with the other Young Single Adults and to watch the Worldwide Devotional for them that was broadcast from Utah. Elder David A. Bednar and his wife were the speakers. They gave a wonderful address about the importance of doing Family History research and temple work. 

After I returned home it was out of that Donna Reed gear and back into comfy clothes for an hour until time for bed. Hallelujah!! I don't believe anyone can really enjoy that kind of attire all the time. And I didn't even do any house cleaning in it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment