Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Southern Comfort...

Wednesday, September 6th, found me at Frank Shoop for an oil change for my car. We have used Frank Shoop since we moved to Kentucky 13 years ago. They are like family that you just get to see once in a while. I checked my car in and headed to the waiting room. This is my post to Facebook after I sat down in the waiting room.

At Frank Shoop for an oil change. The service guy said, "We'll get right to this Darlin'." Passed the last service lady going to the waiting area and heard her call the person on the phone Honey. I love the Southernisms. My sales guy happened into the service area and we chatted. Kim was there with a smile. I love the cheerful care given at Frank Shoop. Today promises to be a good day.

A friend commented on my post with this: "And there are some nitwit women who would sue because of the familiarities used. Amazing!"

I thought about that a bit. Never occurred to me that anyone was being anything but polite in a very southern way. Growing up in Louisiana everyone was Sugar, or Honey, or Sweetie. It was just the way of talking to others. It is a tougher world we live in where these niceties can't be shared without someone choosing to be offended. I personally like the niceties. Claude loves being called 'Honey' when we go through a drive-thru at a fast food place. 

I understand there are people who would turn these niceties into something rude. These people do exist and they are appalling to me. But even with them, I hope we don't lump everyone into a bad category and determine it is politically incorrect to use these terms in a kind way. Come on people. Let's just enjoy be nice to each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment