Friday, September 1, 2017

Oops!!

Sometimes...things just don't go like we planned in our heads.

Katelyn and Drew had their 2nd Anniversary on Monday, August 14th. Claude and I decided to get them a lot of gift cards to Taco Bell. They LOVE Taco Bell. It took us three stores to find Taco Bell gift cards. I put them with a card that explained the 2nd anniversary is supposed to be 'cotton'. Since we knew they found Taco Bell so 'cotton pickin' good, we got them Taco Bell for their 2nd anniversary. I put the gift cards in the mail the next morning, which would have been a Friday, hoping against hope it would make it to them in time. It did not. Not only that it didn't arrive a week after I put them in the mail box. They were just sent US Mail and I had nothing to track or check the envelope. It was just a note card size envelope. Katelyn and I had a talk about it and she said she would see if it went in someone else's mailbox by mistake. Hmmm... Then on August 22nd I received a very happy text message from Katelyn with a picture of the notecard envelope. The gift cards had arrived and we had two very happy people who would dine on Taco Bell that night. 

Sunday, August 20th was the next major oops. Andie is teaching first grade this year. She found a way to get a grant for tablets to be kept in her classroom. There is some way of tracking the kids work or something that she was going to do with these tablets. The key was the iPad is a lot more expensive then a Kindle HD. If she knew a Kindle HD would do what she wanted, she would apply for a grant to get them. She sent a text to Claude and me asking if that is what we had and would they do what she wanted them to do. She told me the two apps she needed to use and she would also need a camera. I found the apps in the app store and put them on my Kindle. Then I tried to use my camera. It wouldn't work at all. It would just freeze up and the only way to get out of it was to shut the Kindle down and restart it. Great! I really never use the Kindle camera. I just use my cell phone. I got Claude's Kindle and his camera worked fine. I reported to Andie that the apps could be added to a Kindle and the camera should work (although mine did not at that time). 

I sat Sunday evening and tried multiple times to get the camera to work. It just wouldn't. I contacted Amazon to get some help with my problem. I went through two techs that help via phone calls and they couldn't find anything to make the camera work or any reason why it wouldn't work. He had me do that thing where you hold the button to shut down the Kindle for 40 seconds and it kind of does a soft reset. That was done twice at least and it never worked. Then he had me reset my Kindle to factory settings. UGHHHHH.... That means all my Gospel Library files will have to be reopened. Any games would go back like you never played them and you must start over. And the list goes on. But, I paid for a camera, I should have a camera, so I did the reset my Kindle to factory settings thing. Alas, that did no good. Great. This is where the man on the phone said he would have to write up a report of what we did and give it to the super knowledgeable people to come up with a solution. They would get back with me. A number for my work order was given to me and I was asked to wait till next week for an solution. Okay...

Over a week later I receive an eMail from Amazon. We have this wonderful idea to fix your camera. Simply reset your Kindle to factory settings and see if that will work. I could not believe that. We did that and it didn't work and I'll be hanged if I am doing that again. No way. So I paused again and played with the camera. This time I was able to hold my finger on the settings icon in the camera app long enough that it opened up. There were ways you could set your picture and pressed a different one than the one it was currently set on. Miracle of miracle, the camera now worked. Now, that was very simple. 

My final oops has to do with me handling home matters while Claude travels. Claude settled into the garbage collection in the house and placing it on the curb chore early on. He just does it. Wednesday night he collects trash in the house and puts it in the garbage can. Thursday morning right after he wakes up he opens the garage door and places the garbage can on the curb. Then he returns the empty garbage can to the garage. He always does it. I don't even think about it. Unless I wake up on Thursday and take it out so he can sleep in. When he travels, it becomes my duty. When he was going on one of his trips, it fell my lot to take the garbage out on Thursday. Claude left Wednesday and I was out weeding our yard. I was trying to get that done so the weeds could go out with Thursday's garbage. Mind you I deliberately did this so that could go out and the next week I would finish the hill and then have an empty garbage can to fill with that weeding. I collected the trash in the house on Wednesday and sent Claude a text so he could not worry about that. 

Thursday morning I got up and got ready to take Papa for a drive. I had an activity to attend in the evening and wanted to get the drive done in the morning. I stopped at Walmart and purchased new silk flowers for Mom's grave so we could do that on our driving loop. I plotted a pass by a Dairy Queen at just the right time for a treat. After the Dairy Queen, I drove on through Frankfort and out into the countryside. Papa started to comment about all the red garbage cans and said, "It must be garbage day." That is when the light went on. In my pleasure with keeping everything done and in order while Claude was gone, I forgot to put the garbage can which I carefully filled with weeds I wanted to go to the dump on the curb. We would have a very full garbage can sitting in the garage for another week. Goodness. Oops!!

No comments:

Post a Comment