Friday, September 1, 2017

Out and About...

Amidst all the madness that is life, Claude and I still manage to find time for an evening out together. You don't stay happily married for 47 years unless you feed that marriage with time together. So, we try to make that happen whenever we can.

July 21st we ventured back to Louisville to see Mama Mia! We have seen this performance before in Washington DC at the National Theater. We enjoyed it very much so we thought it might be fun to revisit this play. It is based on the music of ABBA which is a group we loved in our younger years and still love to listen to their music.

We had a good evening but there were things they have changed in this play. Neither of us remembered them. Some of it was very cute, like the men doing a dance piece in flippers. Some of it was a bit overdone and not to my liking in other areas. Why we have to up the level of sexual innuendo I do not know. The play was great without that. 

August 11th we decided to try a new restaurant. We had heard of it before. It is in Dry Ridge, Kentucky. It is named Beans. As a non-coffee drinker, I assumed it would have chili and soup. Silly Moi!! It is really a coffee and sandwich place. They sell baked goods also. A friend posted this picture on Facebook and suggested Claude and I would love this restaurant. 
So, that Friday we made our way through the rain to Dry Ridge. I found that amusing in and of itself. We went to the counter and ordered our food and got our soda. Then we found a table and waited. There was another family of four finishing up and a young lady in another room. That was it. After a bit another couple came in and placed their order and took a table in the room we were in. Our food still did not come. The young man that took our order came through and said hi to us but brought no food. Another couple came in and ordered and found a seat. The previous couple was served there food. Still no food for Claude and me. I checked the receipt Claude was given when he paid and found we had been sitting for 25 minutes waiting for sandwiches and soup. Hmmm... I told Claude I would give them 5 more minutes and then I would speak to someone. At about the 30 minute mark, the young man that took our order realized we were sitting with no food. We watched him get his manager, check the register, and then get busy. We were pretty sure they realized something was wrong and were feverishly trying to correct it. The manager brought our food and apologized. He explained something didn't forward from the cash register to the place where you fill the order telling you a new order was received and paid for. Whatever... The food was delicious. The bread was just yummy. We were given a free pastry for dessert to compensate for the 40 minute wait for our food. Claude purchased a loaf of sour dough bread to bring home and make fresh tomato sandwiches. We would eat there again. I truly don't think that is the way their business usually goes and we both really loved the way they prepare their food. 

August 18th was the end of a long, hot week. I was at Papa's and got a text from Claude. He knew I needed to be outside and found that we could get tickets to the Lexington Legends that evening. I texted him back to let him know to purchase them. And we enjoyed a lovely evening in the fresh air, no humidity, and cooler than usual, watching great baseball. Zaxby's had a deal that if the Legends get 10 hits, everybody in the stadium gets a coupon for a free nibbler sandwich. The Legends has 19 hits and we each got our coupons. Nice! The evening ended with fireworks. What a wonderful evening.
This last event has not happened yet. But it is going too!! Claude received a text from our daughter, Andie. She heard the Eagles were coming to the Yum Center in Louisville. Glen Frey passed away January 2016. We attended an Eagles' concert in 2015 unaware it would be our last. Then we heard rumors the Eagles were looking at teaming with Vince Gill. We love Vince Gill. That just might work. Next thing we knew Deacon Frey, Glen's son, was playing and singing with the Eagles where his dad once had. Andie's text was welcome news. 

We checked and learned they were indeed coming to the Yum Center and tickets would go on sale Saturday, August 19th at 10am EST. We were supposed to be weeding and cleaning in Sadieville that morning. We took my laptop in case we didn't finish by 10am so I could stop and try to get us some tickets. We knew they would go very quickly. We finished our weeding and were home in time for me to set up getting tickets. We knew where we hoped to sit. After three tries at getting seats in the area we wanted, the system kicked me out. On NO!! I tried getting in again and after a couple of attempts it kicked me out again. I called the Yum Center to ask about seats in the area we wanted to sit in. I was told they were reserved for something or other. They could not help me but referred me to another number for Ticket Master and I tried that. I was able to get tickets in a section further away from the stage than we wanted. But...we will be in the house for this great concert. Yippee!! Don Henley, Deacon Frey, Joe Walsh, Vince Gill and Timothy B. Schmidt, we look forward to your great concert. This will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment