Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Claude left at 1pm to go to the Scott County Republican office for his 4 hours stint. I completed my preparations to go into Georgetown to play the piano for an hour in place of Papa's singing. I left home at about 2:30pm. As I got onto I-75 from Route 32 at Exit 136, I started to accelerate and pressed the little button to tell the car I wanted to set the cruise control when I reached the right speed. My car suddenly went to half power. I moved to the outside lane and then to the shoulder. When my car stopped on the shoulder, so did the power in my car. Completely. Not even a click, click, click when I tried to turn it on again. I called Claude an explained what had happened and that I thought I should call a tow. I asked if he had any other suggestions. He assured me a tow sounded in order. While I had him on the phone, I pulled out the handbook and read what the little lights that came on said. I had received a written message that said "check your throttle". I didn't know I had a throttle!! After a few minutes, Claude suggested I try turning the car on again. I came on. I told him I was headed for Frank Shoop (our car dealer in Georgetown). I drove there and when I pulled into the bay area the car stopped again. I told Kim that I didn't have an appointment and what my car was doing and not doing. She said she would get me right in. I called Claude and told him I made it to Frank Shoop. Then I called the nursing home and told them my situation and that I would be late or not at all. Kim came back to talk with me around 3:30. She said my main computer was not working. She ordered another and it was being over nighted. The little guy standing next to her was going to take me for a rental car. I asked Kim how much this was going to cost. She said, "It's under warranty!!!" I couldn't believe it. Even the rental car was covered. As the little guy drove me to Enterprise rentals he told me of his wreck while going to work that morning. This does not inspire confidence in the person driving you around but when I heard he was rear ended while sitting at a traffic light, I felt somewhat better. The car they gave me was a little Pontiac with a spoiler on the trunk. The back window in this car was soooooo tiny and with the spoiler taking 1/2 of that view, you really couldn't see much outside of the window. I made it to the nursing home by 4pm and played for 1/2 hour. Papa surprised us by getting back early and he brought his mandolin and played some for Geraldine. She just loves the mandolin. I then met my hubby and we tried out the Plum Tree restaurant for dinner. Very good Chinese food. Claude left for Louisville for the remainder of the week. He is attending the Kentucky League of Cities annual conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment