Sunday, June 11, 2017

My Gramma Failure...

Well, it finally happened. That humbling experience we all hope we never have. 

Bailey's Field Day at school was Wednesday, May 31st. Her mother is a teacher and had her Field Day that day as well so she could not be at Bailey's. Her dad had to work and couldn't come. So Bailey invited me. In reality I would have come even if her parents were there. But, it was especially important for me to attend since Mom and Dad couldn't come. 

Memorial Day Bailey and I talked about it again. She couldn't tell me the exact time it started which I needed to know so I would know when to leave my home to be at the school. I assured her I could only attend the field day and then I must hurry back to Georgetown to take Papa to the nursing home to play music for the residents. She understood and all was set except for timing.

Tuesday felt like Monday all day to me.

Wednesday I got up and it felt like Tuesday to me. I accomplished some things in the morning that needed doing and then got ready to go to Georgetown. I check Facebook and found Andie had posted pictures of her going down the balloon bounce slide at her Field Day. I remembered I didn't have a time yet for Bailey's Field Day so I popped Andie a text to get the time to be there the next day.

That's when my heart sank as Andie responded with, "It was this morning." Oh my heavens. I missed Bailey's Field Day. There would be no pictures of her this year at Field Day. My mind kept flashing pictures of our Bailey looking around for Gramma to show up and not seeing her. I was heart sick. I couldn't believe it didn't register at all as I prepared to get Wednesday things done that I was to be in LaGrange on Wednesday morning early. Ugh!!!

I left to take Papa to the nursing home. We did that and then I went to have my dinner. After dinner I figured Bailey would be home. I called Andie's cell phone to see if I could talk with Bailey. Andie assured me she was okay. She was outside in the sprinkler with a friend. This helped a little but  I just felt awful the entire evening. 

I will have to be sure I don't do that next year. That will be her last year in elementary school and her last Field Day. Slowly I was able to move past it a bit but it sure feels bad still when I think of missing what I promised to be at for Bailey. A sad day for this Gramma.

No comments:

Post a Comment