Monday, June 12, 2017

Tidbits...

Thursday, June 1st, I went out to weed our front yard in the morning. I found this little guy growing in the front flower bed.
It took me by surprise. I posted on Facebook that it appeared I had Audrey 2 growing in our front flower bed. That has reference to the Little Shop of Horrors play. I did get a response from a friend and she thought it was a plantain. I Googled for pictures and I do believe she is right. A weed that resembles some type of hosta. 

Sunday, June 4th, we had a special meeting in the evening. The purpose was the creation of a new ward within our stake boundaries. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we are geographically divided in wards (congregations) with so many wards forming a stake (ours had 10 units). With this change we will now have 11 units. This means we are growing in membership in our area. We will stay in the same ward but Papa is geographically in the new ward. However, we have had conversations with the stake president, our bishop and the bishop of the new ward. There is no problem with our leaving his records in our ward. This is exciting. We have had a one ward building the entire time we have lived in Kentucky. Now we will share that building with the new ward, Elkhorn Creek Ward. On Sunday we (the Georgetown Ward) will meet from 9am to 12noon. The Elkhorn Creek Ward will meet from 11am to 1pm. We will continue to have our youth activity night on Wednesday and they will have theirs on Tuesday. This Sunday will be the first time both wards will use the building and overlap meetings. Should be very interesting. This is a map of the new Georgetown Ward boundaries. They realigned four wards, Georgetown, Pioneer, Beaumont and Frankfort to make the new ward. They also took part of Frankfort Ward (Versailles) and added it to Beaumont Ward. They will now meet in the Nicholasville building which is really in the other stake in this area. 
Monday, June 5th, I started my day at Frank Shoop for the second oil change on my new car. It had over 10,000 miles on it already. Still loving it a lot. 

I left Frank Shoop and went through Zaxby's to get a soda and a little something to eat. This is what I saw happening with the car in front of me. They had their sun roof open and the teenage girl was standing with her head outside the sun roof to place the order. Very interesting approach to drive-thru ordering.
I finished my day in Georgetown buying Papa's groceries and cleaning his apartment. Then I just sat and crocheted for a while so we could visit together.

Tuesday, June 6th, I took this cute picture of my hubby.
We have diligently tried to grow many things in these flower beds. Claude originally built them with the intention of them being our garden spots. The first year we planted tomatoes and had a huge harvest. We canned lots and lots of tomatoes. The second year we put corn in the lower bed where Claude is working. It grew very well. As the ears of corn were getting close to being ready to pick, I looked out my window and saw crows all over the corn pecking away. I quickly ran downstairs and out into the back yard to scare them away. Then I grabbed a bag and picked all the corn. I mean really, we wanted fresh corn on the cob. I didn't mind leaving a few ears for the crows but they were feasting with no regard for leaving me a single cob of fresh corn. We tried tomatoes another year and they just didn't yield like before. After a few years, I moved the irises from under a tree further down the hill to the top beds and we also put three blueberry bushes in those beds. The blueberry bushes showed great signs with blossoms and greenery the first and second year. They have not gained any height since then. No blueberries either. Me thinks the deer are feasting on that fresh green stuff as it comes on the bush. In the lower bed Claude tried some kind of flowering shrubs. They did well their first year and then started to die. Then he tried raspberries and blackberries. They did great for a couple of years and then died. Again, we are pretty sure the deer like them also. So this year, he found a nice bush at Lowe's that will flower in the fall (I think) and is deer resistant and drought tolerant. Those are key words for plants in our yard. This picture is Claude planting the new bushes. He is trying once again to get that bed to grow something nice.

Now, the cute part of purchasing these bushes was the number to purchase. Claude had two in the cart. I told him I really felt like we needed three. He said he was sure two was the right amount but he wanted to know why I felt three was right. I told him it just is nice to have an odd number for this type of thing and tried to use Feng Shui in there some where. He just chuckled and I told him to go ahead get his two plants but I would have bought three plants. The next day I was in Georgetown and Claude was in Sadieville planting his two plants. I got a text requesting I purchase one more of these bushes while in Georgetown and giving me the name and color. The sentence closing sentence of the text was, "You can gloat when you get home." Insert 'chuckle' here. I brought home the third plant and assured Claude I would not gloat. Gotta love men.

Wednesday, June 7th, I had my mid-year eye pressure check. It measured 15. It should be between 10 and 20. So, 15 if excellent. It was 19 last December. Dr. Richardson was duly impressed. That evening when I went to the Church to teach my Institute class, Amy Clayburn brought me a treat. She is from St. Louis and told Claude and me to try Zia's when we made a trip there with Katelyn. We did and it is the best Italian restaurant I have ever eaten at in my life. Their salad was to die for. I could have just eaten their bread and salad and be in absolute heaven. Amy and I have talked about that several time. As soon as her kids were out of school for the summer, their family made a quick trip back to St. Louis. She and Matt left their kids with Gramma and they went to Zia's for a lovely dinner. Then they stopped and took time top purchase two bottles of the salad dressing and brought them back to Kentucky for me!! How cool is that?? Claude has already made us one salad and we have tried it and it is just as good as I remembered. Love friends that extend themselves and remember you in that way. 
We had a great Stake Conference this last Saturday and Sunday. We had a visiting General Authority. His name is Jorg Klebingat. Please don't ever ask me to pronounce it. He was just a delightful speaker and we totally enjoyed hearing him Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Claude was also released as a High Councilor and called and sustained as the Director of Stake Self-reliance. 

This brings us today. I was up and out the door at 6:30am. My goal was to weed the big flower bed in front of the Sadieville sign on Main Street. I figured it would take me 3 hours. It was 72 degrees outside at 6:30am. Well, it took me 5 hours. I was finished at 11:30am and it was 92 degrees when I went home. I had consumed a big bottle of water during that 5 hours of weeding. My poor old body was spent. I got home, emptied my car, and grabbed a Mello Yello and sat my body in a chair in the kitchen. I drank that can of soda and then grabbed another bottle of water and drank it. I took some Tylenol for all those aching joints and got a nice shower. 

I was supposed to then go to Papa's and, after buying his groceries, clean his apartment. Let's just say I was now two hours behind in my day and in no physical shape to be cleaning in his apartment. So I changed directions, found a nice little ride that would get me back our to Sadieville in time to have dinner with my hubby before going to a meeting. I scooped up Papa and drove him to Paris. We got a soda for me and a chocolate milk shake for Papa and headed to the back roads around Paris. On my heavens that was a pretty drive. It flowed between horse farms which are always manicured to the T and cattle farms and the planted fields to the fields with big round bales of hay from their first clipping of the season. We totally enjoyed these roads and will go back when we have more time to just take it all in. We did pass a house on our way to Paris that was burned to the ground and had lots of fire trucks and and ambulance outside of it. We tried to figure that one out and I came to the conclusion it might have been an old building that the owner wanted down so they gave it to the fire department to burn and practice on. We came back to Georgetown on that road and the building next to it was fully engulfed in lots of bright red flames with firemen holding a hose to get a great stream of water on the fire. I was then pretty sure my theory might just be correct.

Claude prepared 'gourmet pizza's' for us tonight. They were quite tasty and he was very happy with his effort. 

I ended my evening attending the Friends of Sadieville board meeting. Then home to finish catching up on my Blog. What a full day. I shall sleep well tonight after I take some more Tylenol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment