Monday, June 19, 2017

Surprise...the Boom...

The most fun thing I did this past week was help Michael surprise Andie. He bought tickets for them to go see U2 at the University of Louisville football field. He sent me a text asking if I would be able to watch the Mini's before he purchased the tickets. Well, of course I would. 

So Friday afternoon I drove to LaGrange and parked at the swimming pool to see how Michael's timing was working. As I picked up my phone to send Michael a text telling I was in LaGrange I found a text from Michael asking how my timing was coming. He said I should "Come on over". That sounded like he was already home at 3:30pm. So I pulled out of my parking spot and headed to the Marx home a few blocks away.

The Mini's greeted me outside very surprised to have Ma just show up. Lots of hugs and into the house we went. When Andie saw me she was sure something was up. I mean, Michael was home early with no soccer games to ref and her mother shows up unannounced.  We chatted just a bit and then Michael told Andie she had 35 minutes to be ready to leave. She guessed then that he had purchased tickets for U2. This was one of Andie's favorites as a teen. Andie and Michael were to have dinner with friends who live across the street and then the four of them would go to the concert together. How cool is that?

Andie said The House of Boom had a two for one deal for one hour of bouncing fun. Michael got tickets on-line and also granted permission for them to be with me as their guardian for that hour. The Mini's got ready and we left before Andie and Michael. Off to The House of Boom to play. We took their library books so they could do their reading for the day in the car in case we got there a bit early. 

The House of Boom is a huge room full of all kinds of trampolines. The kids would play from 5pm to 6pm while I went upstairs to a lounge area where I could watch. And...take some pictures. It was great fun for the Mini's and for me to watch. One of my favorite moments was watching Bailey do flips into a pit of foam cubes and Hayden bouncing over to her from the opposite side of this huge room. He whispered something in her ear. Her eyes lit up and they did a handshake of some kind that clearly meant, "Oh yeah, we are gonna do this together." Then they bounced across the trampolines to an area that is netted off with big inclines at the ends of the trampolines. It is sort of like a bowling alley with foam balls. Basically anyone who plays in there knows it is a dodge ball kind of game. They can run to the end of the lane and up to the top to get out of the way of the ball. Hayden was particularly good at getting to the top and just remaining there like a mountain goat. He told me later he was really being King Kong. 
When they finished, I did get each of the kids a Spinner Fidgit toy with the House of Boom logo on it. 

It was time for dinner after The House of Boom. We all agreed we wanted dinner from Blaze Pizza. Hayden got the location in Google Maps and we were off to get across the highway and into the shopping center area. Bailey ordered her pizza with every kind of meat available on it with bits of pineapple and added barbecue sauce over the top of all that. She ate every bite. Pizza was yummy. 

We wanted to watch a movie together that evening before bed. The Mini's really wanted to rent a movie from Red Box. Hayden found the closest Red Box at a Walmart near by. I assured the Mini's we had to all agree on the movie. If we couldn't find one we all agreed on, we would not get a movie at Red Box and that was okay. They understood. We took a little time figuring out which one we all would like. We only looked at G rated movies. The Mini's each have very different tastes in movies. But we found one named Ratchet and Clank and rented it. 

As we walked back through Walmart to go back to the car, I told the Mini's they could each pick one candy to eat while we watched the movie. Bailey really, really wanted gummy bears. We couldn't find any one at the ends of the check-out lanes. Hayden picked red licorice and Bailey found something that would work. As we headed to find a check-out lane for us, Hayden called out to his sister, "Bailey, look what I found?"  He located some gummy bears and she was over the moon happy. Such a good big brother...sometimes. Enjoy these moments when they come.

While we were driving, the Mini's were playing with my phone. There is a female voice that will answer questions and give directions, etc. I do not use this feature but the Mini's were having great fun asking silly questions and then laughing till their sides split. Hayden asked me at one point what question to ask her. I said, "Ask her if pigs fly?" Hayden did. She immediately sited a newspaper article about a pig on an airplane that became unruly and they had to put it off the plane. Well, that really brought on the laughter. 

On the way home the Mini's were talking to that female voice in my phone again when the phone started a strange ring. Hayden said I had a call from Katelyn. Well, I'm in the front seat driving and don't talk on my phone when I drive so I had Hayden answer. It was Katelyn wanting to face time on the phone. The Mini's had the fun of talking with Raelyn while we drove home. Isn't that just amazing. These cousins living so far apart have a relationship they can keep going with face timing on the phone. I mean really. That is just grand!

We watched our movie and ate our candy. Then the Mini's brushed their teeth and headed to their bedrooms. It was just a delightful evening. The Mini's are growing up and watching them is so different from when they were little bitty. But they are helping me learn about taking care of them at this different stage in their lives. 

Andie and Michael got home about 12:30pm. We chatted and caught up on the Mini's and the concert. Then I headed back to Sadieville. I thought as I drove the back country roads to Shelbyville how I never want to live where I have to be afraid to do that on my own. It is wonderful to be able to have that freedom to just drive as a female alone and feel safe in doing so. Even at a ridiculously late hour. 

I got to Shelbyville and was on the road to pick up the Interstate when I suddenly noticed a line of cars coming in my direction. It is about 1:30am and there just shouldn't be a continuous line of cars coming my way off the Interstate. Hmmmm...Sure enough, there was a wreck on I-64 and the road was being blocked off and traffic detoured. There was a police car blocking my entrance onto I-64. My Google maps lady was saying I-64 was still the fastest route home (Hayden must have left my phone in that mode as I really do know my way home). I crossed the Interstate and drove to a gas station and checked my Google maps to see exactly what was going on. I then went back over the Interstate and back up to Hwy. 60 toward Frankfort. I got to the road to Waddy and left that line of traffic to try and get on I-64 at Waddy. No problem there and I was off at good speed to get myself back to Sadieville. I pulled in at 2:30am and found my hubby still awake and clearing off the DVR of things only he likes to watch. Bless his heart. 

It was a great evening and one that really makes you happy to be a Gramma.

No comments:

Post a Comment