Monday, August 26, 2013

Dents...

dent (dent), n. [ME, dial.var. of dint], a slight hollow made in a surface by a blow or pressure.

'Dent' is what I thought of last week as I waded through another day. I was out of bed and running at 7am. That is not particularly early for many folks. But this is about me and not other folks. For me, 7am is bearable. 6:59am is definitely not bearable for me.

My day ended up being completely full of things that needed to be finished before family arrived over the weekend. I did stop one bit of time to visit with my hubby and have a bite to eat while we talked. Then it was back to accomplishing all that which seems important.

At the end of the day I felt like I made a 'dent' in what I wanted to accomplish. Just a dent. It felt good to know I even did that much but it still felt like a lot was out there to be done. I thought I would Blog about 'dents' but I was truly ready for some sleep and headed to bed instead.

Today, after enjoying some family time on Friday and Saturday and Sunday morning, I sat to Blog about 'dents'. I pulled out my trusty dictionary on my desk instead of going to the on-line dictionary I like to use. I wanted the feel and weight of that volume in my hand as I searched for the definition. What I found is typed above. I read it. Typed it. Felt dissatisfied. Then realized it didn't fit the 'dent' I was trying to express. 

I paused and noticed again that little bit of extra knowledge you get when you read all a dictionary has to offer besides just a definition.  The word 'dint' was there for me to learn. I never spell 'dent' with an 'i'.

Back in my dictionary I searched for 'dint'.

dint (dint), n. [ME. dint, dynt; AS. dynt]. force; exertion: as by dint of great effort he got what he wanted.

These types of little finds make me happy.  There is so much to learn in life and when a little tidbit comes along that boosts that learning, it just always makes this old girl happy.

So I made a 'dint' in my to do list of life.  That 'dint' felt good.  And, I have not made a 'dint' in my life knowledge because of that long day of force and exertion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment