Thursday, December 5, 2013

Lunch Anyone???

Wednesday was our December Countryside Homemakers annual outing to a fun place for lunch. We all agreed to go to Nonesuch, Kentucky where Irish Acres is located and dine at the "Glitz" restaurant.

Just getting us through the reservation and final count attending was an interesting journey.  I called after our November meeting when we determined to go to the Glitz and reserved seating for 10 people. They asked that I give the final count one week prior to December 4th. That was Thanksgiving week and I figured Wednesday would not be a good day to call everyone.  So I called on Monday, December 2nd to get confirmation from the ladies.  I left messages with those not at home to call me be noon Tuesday to confirm their participation. Tuesday afternoon I called with a final number of 9 ladies.  This number included one lady I had not heard from but was sure she would attend.  Late Tuesday I received a call from this lady and she said she would not be able to attend.  Wednesday I called the Glitz back and asked them to reduce our number to 8 people. All was set...I thought.

Monday late in the day I received a call from Barbara Vance.  Barbara is the President of the Scott County Extension Homemakers, our county president.  She wanted to come to our December meeting.  I told her we were not having a meeting as usual but were going to the Glitz for lunch. She said she would love to join us.  After making the arrangements to meet her in Georgetown to pick her up, I called the Glitz and again. Turns out the Glitz is closed on Monday.  I called Tuesday and left a message. They called back and I changed our number back to 9 people.  There...that should do it.  Now to just have fun.

We all met at my home Wednesday morning. The ladies brought canned food and coats for me to donate to our favorite charity. I gave them each the ornament I made for them. Then we were ready to leave.

We were taking two cars. I would drive and Charlotte would drive.  I had printed directions and was prepared to lead.  However, I asked Charlotte if she knew the way. She assured me she did, discussion was had by other ladies that Charlotte had been there with friends and would definitely know the way. We agreed Charlotte would lead and my car would follow.  Three ladies got in the car with Charlotte and three with me and we headed to Georgetown to pick up Barbara.  Barbara got in Charlotte's car and we were off.

Now, I expected us to follow closely to the MapQuest instructions I had.  In my mind we would head to I-75 and to Lexington.  Charlotte didn't do that. She headed into downtown Georgetown.  Okay, I could see us going on down Hwy 25 which takes one right to New Circle Road in Lexington and from there we could easily get to Versailles Road and on to Martha Layne Collins Parkway.  It would be a little slower than taking the Interstate but we had plenty of time.  I concentrated on talking to Janet in my car and staying close to Charlotte as I drove.

When we got to the By-pass in Georgetown, Charlotte turned onto it.  I was a little confused but still confident that she knew where she was going. I knew we could do the By-pass in Georgetown and get to Payne's Depot and follow it out to I-64 and from there to Midway and still make it to the Martha Layne Collins Parkway.  I again still trusted that Charlotte was just taking us a back way and would get it us there and we still had enough time.  Janet and I continued talking and enjoying this drive through Kentucky horse farms.

We made it to Versailles.  We got to one intersection after going through downtown and I saw the sign for Hwy 33. I knew this was the one that would take us out to the Ford's Mill Road and to Nonesuch. However, Charlotte turned to continue on Hwy 62 which we had been traveling on. Hmmm...I began to be concerned but thought Charlotte just still knew a back way.

We follow Charlotte for a good deal further and Janet said to Elaine, her mom, who was in the back seat, "Doesn't it seem like this is a longer drive than usual to Nonesuch?"  Elaine agreed. Then we discussed that we all felt we might be going the wrong way but Charlotte had been confident that she knew the way.  Then we saw it, the sign that said 'Lawrenceburg'. We were seriously west of Versailles and definitely going the wrong way. We now only had 15 minutes to get to the Glitz for our lunch appointment. Yike.

Fortunately, at this same time Charlotte pulled into an auto parts parking lot.  Barbara got out of their car and headed inside the store to get directions.  I had Janet pull a paper map out of my glove compartment and I headed over to help Charlotte and me get a visual of where we needed to go and possibly not have to back track to Versailles.  Pretty soon Barbara game out with handwritten directions to get us to Nonesuch as quickly as possible. However, the man in the auto parts store told Barbara it would take us 30 minutes to get there.

I called the Glitz as we backed out and started to follow our new handwritten directions to let them know we were running a bit late.  We made it back to Versailles on a back road and further south on Hwy 33 that before.  Then it was on to Ford's Mills Road and to Irish Acres. 

It was quite a journey.  The Glitz was very gracious about our lateness.  We had a simply marvelous lunch and great conversation.  Then we headed through Irish Acres.  This is an old two story elementary school that has been transformed into an antique store with very, very high end antiques.  It is simply delightful to stroll through those two stories of really beautiful furniture, dishes, books, trinkets, etc.  So much to see.

Now, I needed to get back to Sadieville and leave my passengers so I could drive back to Georgetown and get Papa to the nursing home with a DVD of country music. I took my camera to get a picture of all us ladies at the Glitz.  I can only describe my efforts to get us all together for this picture as trying to herd chickens.  It was painful.  But we finally got everyone at the staircase at the same time and the nice gentleman greeting all of us at the door was kind enough to take three pictures of us. This was the best of the lot.
Top Row:  Charlotte Archer, Barbara Vance, Maggie Williams
Middle Row:  Detta Wilson, Elaine Rutledge, Ann Zeyzing, Janet Preston
Front Row:  Sandi Christensen, Kathleen Preston

Now the first picture has the cutest expression on Kathleen's face.  Just loved it. She is a sweetie.
We had a great time and a grand adventure.  Yep, this Countryside Homemaker Group knows how to have a fun time going to and enjoying lunch together.

No comments:

Post a Comment