Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Such a Nice Guy...

My hubby had a meeting to attend this morning in Berea, Kentucky at Boone's Tavern. Several weeks ago, after committing to attend the meeting, he proposed he get us a reservation for Monday night and we take a night away. Then I could have this morning to myself while he went to his meeting. I assured him I thought I could fit that into my schedule.

Yesterday, after attending to Papa and the City Commission meeting, we put our bag in my car and headed south to Berea.  We checked into the hotel portion of Boone Tavern and had a couple quiet hours to unwind before our 6pm dinner reservation in their excellent restaurant.

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner served to us by Aaron. He was just a delightful server. I had a salad with fruit and cheese on Bibb lettuce.  Claude had a salad on mixed greens with some kind of meat. For entrees I enjoyed a pecan crusted salmon with seasoned butter on top, asparagus and mashed potatoes. Claude had a pasta dish with seafoods in the pasta.  For dessert I enjoyed a lovely chocolate cake with chocolate icing and Claude had the bread pudding.  Dinner was yummy...we waddled to our room. 

I finished reading my first book about Egypt in preparation for our big trip in 2014. Claude did some reading and flipped through television channels.  I could feel all tension of normal life just flowing out of me throughout the evening.  This was great.

This morning Claude got up and got ready for his meeting.  I slept and snuggled in those wonderful covers until just before he left.  Then after showering and getting ready for my day, I checked us out of Boone Tavern and toted our luggage to the car. 

I buttoned up my coat and walked back through the Tavern to get to their gift shop. I had a coupon for a discount on their candy.  Believe it or not, this girl with a sweet tooth bought no candy. Not one piece.

There is a door from the gift shop to the outside front sidewalk. I took that door and strolled down the street.  There is one store I love with lots of homemade crafts of all kinds.  I strolled through this shop at my leisure.  Always before I was with a group where you need to sensitive to their time constraints or my hubby who just barely enjoys a little shopping. This time I could take my time and look at everything that interested me even a little bit. It was grand.  I actually found items for Bailey's birthday next year and purchased them to tuck away. 

I walked down the block a little further.  There is another store that sells handcrafted items from around the world. Love these kinds of stores.  Again I found some little items for birthdays and did it at my leisure.  What a treat. 

I next enjoyed a walk around the corner and down the sidewalk to the Log House store.  It too is full of hand crafted items.  I only purchased some spoon bread from Weisenburger Mills to share with our family coming in for Christmas. 

A dark gray cloud heading toward me made me feel I should head for shelter.  I walked back to my car and deposited my purchases, grabbed my craft bag and headed into the Tavern.  I found a chair by a fireplace and nestled in to wait for Claude to finish his meeting.  He had about a hour left.  I enjoyed reading another chapter in my next book about Egypt.  Then I crocheted until Claude came out. 

We headed back to Sadieville. However, I checked the Internet and found that The Hobbit was playing at the theater in Hamburg Pavilion which we would pass on our way home.  They had a showing right about the time we would be able to get there.  Claude was agreeable so we stopped in Lexington to watch The Hobbit before heading home.

This was such a pleasant break from all the business of December.  It just seems no matter how much I plan and prepare ahead so that December can be a relaxing time to enjoy events and feel the spirit of Christmas, there are always multiple additions to the schedule by well meaning people.  It just makes the season rushed.  Taking this breather for just this amount of time was just what I needed.  How grateful for the Big Guy and his thoughtfulness in setting this all up and giving me some time to leisurely enjoy myself.

Now I shall go upstairs and enjoy the dinner he is cooking for the two of us while I get through the laundry.  For this moment in time...life is good, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment