Sunday, December 24, 2017

A Sweet Moment for Papa...

Saturday I went to the nursing home to visit Papa around lunch time. The weather man indicated bad weather coming in the late afternoon and I wanted to be home if and when that hit.

As I walked down the hall Papa lives in to his room, I passed Paul's room. Paul sits at the end of the table for dinner and Papa sits beside him. They tell the same stories over and over again and never tire of them. That my friends is a tender mercy. Paul's family was there and they were cutting his hair. We chatted about that and then I found Papa, told him it was about time for lunch and asked if he wanted to walk on down to the dining room with me. He agreed and we were off to the dining room.

We sat down and visited for a bit. Then Paul and his family joined us. Paul's daughter and her daughter and her daughter were there. That meant Paul's daughter, granddaughter and great granddaughter were visiting him. The little one was 9 years old. 

She told me she sang Paul a song about Baby Jesus. I asked her if she would sing it again and she was very happy to do that. She took her Grandmother back to Paul's room to get the words so she didn't mess up. Her mother found the music on her cell phone. Then the little one cleared her throat and got close to Papa so he could hear her soft voice. Like a little angel she sang her song about Baby Jesus birthday as loud as she could so Papa could hear. He grinned and enjoyed it so very much. When she finished she reached over and gave him a big bear hug. He reciprocated.

I love these moments. I told this precious little one she just gave the best Christmas gift she could ever give to Papa and thanked her for doing that. It was one of those moments where a tear comes to my eyes and I felt the true Spirit of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment