Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Movin' Day...

Claude did a road trip to Michigan. I asked him to send me pictures. This was the first one I received.
Here's the story. Nissa, our oldest child and is the person walking through the doorway in this picture, and her hubby, Todd, purchased a new home. They have been trying to do this for years and it just never worked. Came really close the beginning of this year and the house inspection showed tons of expensive work that had to be done from roofing to plumbing to you name it bad. The owners were not willing to come down on the price to cover the work Nissa and Todd would need to do so they passed on it. I ached for these two. They have put in the time and effort checking houses all over the place. So, when they found this one, we were so very happy for them that it was going to work. Claude really wanted to help with the move, so, hence the road trip to Michigan and my request for pictures as I would stay to keep tabs on Papa. This picture is my hubby's foot with Nissa working hard and Claude sitting in Todd's recliner in the living room of the home they were leaving. Geez!!

Claude got there on a Friday and had some time with Katelyn, Drew and Raelyn that night. Raelyn even got chummy with her great Grampa and he loved every single minute of it. 
Saturday was moving day. Todd's boys and Mitchell's fiancee were there to help, Katelyn and Claude helped and of course Nissa and Todd were there. They moved everything from the old house to the new and got a lot of things in place in the new home. Great job guys.

Sunday Claude stayed for the morning and visited with Aubrey and Nelson. Then he drove to Chelsea and visited with Jacob before driving the rest of the way back to Kentucky. Whew, whirlwind trip again but well worth the time and effort. 

Now, lest one think I just sat around watching soap operas and eating bon bons. Not so, not so. I like to find a project I want to get done when my hubby is traveling, tackle it and check it off the list. This time my project was actually two things in the workshop. We moved all of Papa's albums into the workshop and they have been there for some time. In addition we have a narrow area by the stair well that we store boxes that can be used for packing things to mail or moving or whatever. It had gotten completely out of hand and was beginning to spill over into the workshop. So I was intent on cleaning out the albums and the area with the boxes.

I cleaned the albums down to this album cabinet and kept the albums I wanted for me. This cabinet has its own story. When I was very young and our family was living on Herndon Street in Shreveport, Louisiana, my father was an avid listener and collector of certain kinds of albums. He was very good friends with Crawford Priest who owned a record store. Papa bought every Mormon Tabernacle Choir album as it was released. He needed a place to store these albums so they wouldn't warp. Johnny Desoto was a member of the church in the Shreveport Ward. He did woodwork and made this record cabinet for Papa. I remember it coming to our home and how careful my parents were with it. I also remember Johnny and Dorothy Desoto having a new baby. They had several other children already. When this baby was born it had an extra thumb on one of its hands. I remember our family going over to see this new baby. I shall never forget what Papa said to the Desoto's. He said, "That is going to be one piano playing fool as he grows up!" On My!!! So I kept the record cabinet for the memories and I did keep all those Mormon Tabernacle Choir albums. I do have a record player on which to play them. 
The other area I cleaned out was this storage spot for boxes of larger sizes. Should have taken before and after pictures of each of these spots so the work involved would show. But I can look at them and see the difference and that is what I want to remember. I texted these pictures to Claude and he was very pleased to get some floor space back in his office.  
So it was a working weekend for both of us in Michigan and Kentucky. Work is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment