Saturday, December 23, 2017

Feeling Christmas...

Yesterday (since I am posting this in the wee small hours of the morning), while visiting with Papa, we went to the multi-purpose room to sit. I took Papa a donut for a treat and we were eating a donut each and having a soda to sip on. They announced over the PA system that they would have a little worship service with communion at 11am for anyone who chose to participate. I told Papa and we decided to stay for that and sing with them.

Glen starts these with a prayer. He works to keep it open to everyone of all faiths. He has someone who comes in to play the piano and, after the prayer, they sing songs to get everyone involved. There is a good supply of Baptist hymnals. We all take one and choose any song we want to sing as a group. This day all the songs people chose were Christmas carols. 

Then Glen had us turn to page 407 to sing Because He Lives to prepare for the passing of communion. I love this song. I have heard it before and the melody is just beautiful and lends itself to a very easy and equally beautiful harmony. It was fun to sing the harmony to this musical selection. These are the words:

God sent His Son, they called Him Jesus;
He came to love, heal and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon;
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

CHORUS:
Because He lives I can face tomorrow;
Because He lives, all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is with the living just because He lives.

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives;
But greater still the calm assurance:
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

CHORUS:
Because He lives I can face tomorrow;
Because He lives, all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is with the living just because He lives.

And then one day I'll cross the river;
I'll fight life's final war with pain.
And then, as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know he reigns.

CHORUS:
Because He lives I can face tomorrow;
Because He lives, all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is with the living just because He lives.

My mother was a good old Southern Baptist when she met my father. She was converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after they were married. So I grew up with a Baptist hymnal in my home and enjoyed all the old Baptist hymns. This was not one of them but I have heard it and loved the music through more recent years.

Today it just made me feel good. I sat in that room full of people who have come to live their final days in this little nursing home. The final verse seemed so fitting for each of them and for me. I view my own mortality more directly each passing day. Caring for my parents in their final days has taught me some things and helped me to know and understand some things I probably would not have felt as strongly or understood as deeply. Each of the residents will 'cross that river' some day as will I. Each of them is fighting life's final war and some with lots of physical pain and all with emotional pain. I understand that. But the hope that comes in the knowledge that Christ does live and he died for me so that I too might live is the reason for the joy in this Christmas season of the year. So I drank in the goodness of this simple hymn from the beauty of each note to the simple message contained in its words. I shall live because He lived and died for me. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment